- Presidential Candidates:
- PDP-Laban, Cusi: Sen Bong Go
- PDP-Laban, Pacquiao: Sen Manny Pacquiao
- Senator Panfilo Lacson
- Aksyon-Demokratiko: Manila Mayor Isko Moreno
- PLM: Leody de Guzman
- (HnP: Sara Duterte)
- (1S/LP: VP Leni Robredo)
- (KBL: Bongbong Marcos)
- Vice Presidential Candidates:
- PDP-Laban: Preident Duterte
- NPC: Tito Sotto
- Aksyon Demokratiko: Willie Ong
- Kapatiran Party: Alex Lacson
- (1S/LP: VP Leni Robredo)
- (1S: Senator Trillanes)
- Senator Lacson and Senate President Tito Sotto announced their presidential and vp bid as a tandem.
- Senate slate: JV Ejercito, Joel Villanueva, Juan Miguel Zubiri
- Potential Senatoriables: Raffy Tulfo, Many Pinol (Sherwin Gatchalian, should he wish to be a re-electionist)
- PDP-Laban Cusi Wing has officially nominated President Duterte as VP Candidate, which the president accepted. On September 23, President Duterte filed his Certificate of Candidacy. Senator Bong Go who was nominated by the party as the presidential candidate did not accept the nomination.
- Initial slate (as of September 8): Silvestre Bello III (Labor Secretary), Salvador Panelo (Chief Presidential Legal Counsel), Arthur Tugade (Transportation Secretary), Harry Roque (Presidential Spokesperson), Mark Villar (DPWH Secretary), Rodante Marcoleta (House Deputy Speaker)
- Leyte 4th District Representative Lucy Torres-Gomez was initially included in the slate but the Congresswoman withdrew, instead will replace her husband as governor of Leyte.
- PDP-Laban Pacquiao wing has officially nominated Sen Manny Pacquiao as its presidential candidate. A new set of officers were also inaugurated during the national convention of the faction on September 19.
- Manila Mayor Isko Moreno officially announced his bid for the presidency with cardiologist Willie Ong as his vice-president.
- Senatoriables: Samira Gutoc, Carl Balita
- In their National Executive Committee Meeting on September 28, the Liberal Party announced its senatorial candidates.
- LP: former Senator Bam Aquino, Senator Kiko Pangilinan and Senator Leila de Lima
- Guest Candidates: Risa Hontiveros and Chel Diokno
- KBL officially nominated BongBong Marcos for president on September 24 but the it was not yet an acceptance of the nomination.
- Makabayan bloc senatorial candidates: Neri Colmenaros and KMU Chair Bong Labog
- Leody De Guzman, Chairman of BMP and founder of Nagkaisa Labor Colation accepted will runas president under Partido Lakas ng Masa Party (PLM).
6 September 2021
Robredo to back Isko-Pacquiao tandem if it will bring end to current regime
By: Gabriel Pabico Lalu
- VP Leni said that she is open to the tandem of Mayor Isko Moreno and Senator Manny Pacquiao if this will be the means to end the current regime. She said further that she is open to proposals from various factions intending to forma a coalition that could challenge Duterte’s anointed candidate in 2022.
- Robredo revealed that she has met with Senators Panfilo Lacson and Richard Gordon, both rumored to run for the presidency.
- Meanwhile Robredo said that she is also considering running for president. Her decision is heavily influenced by the grassroots support.
8 September 2021
Press Briefing: Manny Pacquiao [VIDEO]
Sen. Pacquiao reveals that around 1.9M are informal settlers in the country and promises to provide them free housing in three years. Video footage shows beneficiaries of Pacman Villages since 2006. Sen Pacquiao insists that a good society starts with a good home and solicits the help of the people to fight against corrupt politicians.
Lacson, Sotto officially announce presidential, VP bids
Senators Lacosn and Sotto officially announced their bid for the presidency and vice-presidency respectively in the upcoming 2022 elections. Sen Sotto for his part declared his acceptance of the challenge to address national issues such as poor economy, rising COVID-19 cases, corruption and poverty that makes the Filipino hopeless. Meanwhile Sen Lacson threw a sutle tirade against President Duterte. The tandem boasted of their combined 80 years in public service and vouched that platform will include discipline in public spending.
The tandem said that they are yet to finalize their senatorial slate.
Pacquiao insists they are ‘legit’ PDP-Laban group after Cusi faction’s filing of petition with Comelec
By: Hana Bordey
Senator Manny Pacquiao on Wednesday insisted that they are the legitimate PDP-Laban group after the faction led by Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi filed a petition against them with the Commission on Elections (Comelec). Pacquiao said that his leadership is backed by more htan 100,000 members of the party.
This is after Pacquiao wing ousted President Duterte as chairman of the party.
Headline: PDP-CUSI Wing National Convention (Video)
Clueless, ‘living in Disneyland’: Isko fires off another salvo at Duterte admin
- Manila Mayor Isko Moreno hit the Duterte administration for its inaction and for ‘playing deaf’ on pleas for COVID 19 assistance such as the purchase of medicines. He swpied at Duterte nad his officials for ‘living in Disneyland’ for being callous and feigning ignorance on the ground situation that is costing peoples’ lives.
Isko on gov’t last-minute GCQ shift: ‘We have to endure this circus, shenanigans’
- Mayor Manila Mayor Isko Moreno lambasted the IATF for the last-minute change in quarantine classification. The IATF previously announced that they will impose an experimental granular lockdown to prevent the spread of the highly transmissible Delta variant. But failed to stay true to their word then announced that NCR will have to implement MECQ instead. Moreno for his part, criticized the last-minute decision and called the task force, ‘shenanigans’ and ‘barberos.’
Isko fires back at Roque: It isn’t politics to argue people need medicines, not face shields
INQUIRER.net / 04:49 PM September 08, 2021
- Isko Moreno was believed to be reacting against Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque’s statement on September 6 berating on the ‘politicking’ of some officials criticizing the administration’s poor COVID-19 response. Mayor Moreno questioned how the plea for medicines and health support be reduced to politicking when that is what is needed by the people on the ground.
- Mayor Moreno criticized the government for not building hospitals one year into the pandemic and for focusing on requiring people to use face shields while failing to procure Remdesivir and Tocilizumab that can save lives.
It’s definite: Duterte to run for VP post; Go declines
Philippine Daily Inquirer / 06:31 PM September 08, 2021
- President Duterte has accepted the nomination as VP candidate of PDP-LABAN for the 2022 National elections. He accepted the nominated to “continue to serve my countrymates and lead the nation to greater progress.” He said further that his decision to run was spurred by his love for country and his desire to seek continuity in his efforts against terrorism.
- Senator Bong Go for his part declined the nomination as Presidential candidate of the Party.
Pacquiao to Duterte: Stop defending your men being probed for corruption
INQUIRER.net / 04:48 PM September 08, 2021
This is Senator Pacquiao’s response to the Presdiente’s tirade against Senators who are investigating the procurement of allegedly overpriced medical supplies amid the pandemic.
9 September 2021
No more presidential run for Inday Sara after Duterte accepted VP nomination
- Sarah declared that she won’t be running for presidency after President Duterte accepted the nomination to run as vice-presidential candidate of PDP-LABAN for the 2022 elections. “I am not running for a national position as we both agreed only one of us will run for a national position in 2022,” Duterte-Carpio said in a text message to mediamen.
- Sarah cited an agreement in their family that only one can run for national elections in 2022
Day of pledges: ‘Free housing’ and president as ‘a gift from God’
- On September various political parties and personalities had their respective monents in the spotlight: 1) Announcement of Lacson-Sotto tandem for the 2022 presidential and vice-presidential elections, 2) Pacquiao press conference, 3) PDP-LABAN convention where Pres Duterte accepted the nomination as VP candidate of the Party
- The Lacon-Sotto announcement focused on bringing the hope and dignity back to the people amid the COIVD 19 pandemic
- Sen Manny Pacquiao, without confirming his candidacy, announced his platform to provide free mass housing in the next three years and seeks the help of the people to fight corruption
- President Duterte in his speech in the convention warned against the opposition who threatening him and his economic advisers, prosecution for corruption and other anomalies.
Sara Duterte says not seeking national position after Duterte named admin VP bet
- Out of delicadeza, Mayor Sarah announced that she will no longer be running for a national position, leaving the administration party with no presidential candidate at the moment.
UP political groups tell Bongbong Marcos he is ‘delusional’
Manila Bulletin, Raymund Antonio
- Sandigan para sa Mag-aaral at Sambayan (SAMASA) and Nagkaisang Tugon (TUGON), former rival political parties at the University of the Philippines-Diliman, scoffed at Marcos’ claim that he can easily win against Robredo even as he already lost by a slim margin during the 2016 vice presidential race.
- The groups also hit Marcos for spending P72 million in the electoral protest which the groups believe was sourced from public funds
- The groups in the same statement expressed support for Robredo’s candidacy.
Pacquiao wing sets PDP-Laban national assembly on Sept. 19
By: Hannay Torregoza
- The Partido ng Demokratikong Pilipino-Laban (PDP-Laban) faction of Senator Manny Pacquiao has assured that their national assembly will push through in the coming weeks. Ronwald Munsayac, Executive Director of the party said that the planned convention is guaranteed to be in compliance with the party constitution, written by no less than Aquinilo Pimental, the father of current chairment Koko Pimentel.
- Munsayac went on saying that the Cusi Wing of the party are not legimitate members, instead are government officials who swarmed the party following the Presidency of Duterte.
PDP-Laban Pacquiao wing not keen in supporting Duterte’s VP bid
Published September 9, 2021, 3:15 PM
- The Pacquiao wing of the PDP-Laban will not support the VP bid of President Duterte because the ousted Chairman does “does not represent the values of the party anymore, which is about basic humanism, enlightened nationalism, consultative and participatory democracy.”
Robredo a ‘sure winner’ if she runs for president, says Trillanes
Published September 9, 2021, 1:38 PM
- In a Twitter post, the staunch critic of President Duterte expressed hope that Robredo would run for president next year. He said in response to a Twitter post tagging him as a better candidate than Sen. Pacquiao.
Sara, HNP withdraw support to PDP-Laban amid proclamation of Go-PRRD bid for 2022
Published September 9, 2021, 12:41 PM
- Malacañang-backed PDP-Laban will no longer enjoy the support of Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte and her regional party, Hugpong ng Pagbabago, in its campaign for the 2022 national elections.
- Even before she could reveal her plans for the 2022 elections, the Davao City chief executive and the HNP already renewed alliances with several pro-administration parties, but not the PDP-Laban.
- Among those who are willing to support her presidential bid are the Lakas-CMD, Nacionalista Party, National Unity Party and the People’s Reform Party.
- Meanwhile, Davao Occidental Gov. Claude Bautista, HNP president, appeared unconvinced that Mayor Sara Duterte has made her final decision on the presidency.
Mayor Sara: ‘Yes, I am not running for a national position’
Published September 9, 2021, 11:36 AM
- Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte on Thursday, Sept. 9 confirmed that she will no longer run for president next year amid the declaration of the PDP-Laban party that her father, President Rodrigo Duterte will be its vice presidential candidate in 2022.
- However, this statement by the presidential daughter had a tinge of ambivalence as she admitted that there is a “Plan B”, which is for Senator Christopher “Bong” Go to take the president’s place as vice presidential candidate.
Sara Duterte says she’s not running for president
SEP 9, 2021 12:11 PM PHT
- Davao Mayor Sarah Duterte says that she is not running for a national position, because she previously agreed with her father that only one in the family will run for a national position in 2022.
- This was very different from two weeks ago where President Duterte said that we would turn down any nomination should Sara decide to gun for the presidency.
#PHVote: Political party conventions, announcement of nominees for the 2022 Philippine elections
SEP 9, 2021 11:00 AM PHT
- The news article is a summary of political party events that happened on Sept 8 namely—1) Lacson-Sotto announcement, 2) PDP-Laban Cusi wing convention and nomination, which highlights the speech of President Duterte
- The article includes related news and clips
FAST FACTS: PDP-Laban nominees for the 2022 Philippine elections
SEP 9, 2021 8:00 AM PHT
PAULINE MACARAEG & JODESZ GAVILAN
- Short profile on P and VP candidates, Senatorial candidates and guest candidates of PDP-LABAN Cusi wing
‘Nabudol kami’: Pacquiao faction says Duterte no longer represents PDP-Laban values
SEP 9, 2021 5:21 PM PHT
- In a media briefing, Executive Director Ron Munsayac that they will not support President Duterte’s VP bid, saying that the chairman no longer represented their values and that’s the sentiment of 99.9& of the members and that the party felt that for “a long time” already.
- Inasmuch as they tried to resolve things internally, the infighting was brought to the fore when Cusi held a national council meeting in May with Duterte’s blessing.
- Munsayac said that Go’s refusal to run for presidency is a script much like how Duterte last-minute maneuverings that the party did in 2016.
Comelec declares failure of bidding for lease of 10,000 VCMs for 2022 polls
SEP 9, 2021 2:25 PM PHT
DWIGHT DE LEON
- No company submitted a bid to the COMELEC for the lease of 10,000 additional vote-counting machines for the 2022 national and local elections, resulting in a failure of bidding.
- The COMELEC contract had a maximum budget of P600.504M or P60,050 per unit of VCM, main SD card, and WORMABLE SD card
- Smartmatic did not participate in the bidding because the budget is insufficient given the surge in the prices of electronics due to shortages in components and sharp rise in logistics cost
PDP-Laban feud, no unity in opposition drawback for both in Halalan 2022: expert
Sherrie Ann Torres, ABS-CBN News
Posted at Sep 09 2021 09:22 PM
- The failure of the opposition to unite against the Duterte administration, and the worsening feud within the ruling political party PDP-Laban may diminish their respective chances to bag the majority of votes in next year’s elections, a political expert said Thursday according to former UP National College of Public Administration and Governance dean Edna Co
- Eight months away from the 2022 elections, she said Filipino voters should now analyze the country’s situation and prepare for the polls, which she sees as a “turning point” for the Philippines.
- The 2022 elections are “very, very important”, given the country’s need to combat the COVID-19 pandemic and recover from its already slumped economy, Co said.
‘Tactics’: Mga deklarasyon ng politiko wag muna paniwalaan, ayon sa analysts
Mike Navallo, ABS-CBN News
Posted at Sep 09 2021 08:32 PM
- This is according to Ramon Casiple, VP of NOVO Trends PH
- UP Assistant Professor Jean Franco also shared the same sentiment saying that the system allows for substitution therefore nothing is final unti the very last day of filing of candidacies. She further said that the administration’s strongest candidate is Sara Duterte and the administration especially President Duterte has needs to strategize in order to be prosecuted for the crimes of administration
- Both analysts believe that a bigger burdon is upon the opposition to find a strong contender to the administration. The administration is de facto at an advantage because of the resources it has at its disposal.
- For Franco, the opposition stands a fighting chance with incumbent VP Leni Robredo and Manila Mayor Isko Moreno.
Comelec official suspects having to buy stamp stopping overseas Filipinos from voting
Sherwin Tinampay, ABS-CBN News
Posted at Sep 09 2021 11:04 PM
- MANILA – There is an average of 1.3 million Filipino voters overseas but only an estimated 60 percent of this number voted during the 2019 elections. The rest may have skipped voting because they had to buy their own stamps to mail their vote, a poll official said.
- Commission on Elections Commissioner Rowena Guanzon, in an online interview with Karen Davila Thursday, said Filipino workers who are registered to vote may have been dissuaded from doing so because they had to go out of their way to buy stamps for their return envelopes.
- Guanzon said that the Comelec sought an P800-million budget allocation for overseas voting but DBM only approved P111 million.
Lacson: May bagong testigo sa medical supply deal ng gobyerno
Posted at Sep 09 2021 07:49 PM
- Senator Lacson shared that he proposed a united opposition with VP Leni for a united opposition but this proposal was short-lived when VP Leni denied the proposal. For this reason, he said that the Lacson-Sotto tandem will go all the way making the possibility of the united opposition bleak.
- In the same story Lacson criticized Presidente Duterte’s drug war as palpak.
- Meanwhile Sen Lacson sounded off that they have a witness that will blow the whistle on the corruption in the Duterte govt in the COVID-19 response.
Comelec hinimok na desisyunan agad ang paksiyon sa PDP-Laban
Sheriann Torres, ABS-CBN News
Posted at Sep 09 2021 07:45 PM
- The PDP-Laban Pacquiao wing criticized the Cusi wing anew with the refusal of Bong Go to run as the presidential candidate for a party, saying that it’s a first for the national party. They urged those comprising the Cusi wing to respect the decision of Senator Bong Go. They also threw tirades against President Duterte who is gunning for re-election as VP, calling him hungry for power.
- Former COMELEC Commissioner Luie Guia said that the infighting between the two faction will not bode well for candidates who will be running for either wings. He urged that the COMELEC should decide urgently on the matter because time is running out.
Lawmakers seek revisions on Comelec’s ‘new normal’ manual for 2022 polls
Jauhn Etienne Villaruel, ABS-CBN News
Posted at Sep 09 2021 06:17 PM
- Representatives of Comelec presented before the House committee on suffrage and electoral reforms their guidelines for election activities, such as the filing of certificates of candidacy (COC) next month, campaign rallies, and the voting day itself.
- One of the provisions lawmakers found problematic is the power granted to local government units (LGU) to allow political activities.
- The legislators in particular questioned the discretion given to LGU in the conduct of campaign activities that may cause confusion and worse give undue advantage to incumbent parties at the local level who have control over rules and regulations of campaign activities.
10 September 2021
11 September 2021
12 September 2021
Dating Sen. Bongbong Marcos, nakipagpulong sa Partido Federal ng Pilipinas
Uploaded on Sep 12, 2021 08:18 PM
- Former Senator Bong Bong Marcos met with the leaders of the Partido Federal ng Pilipinas. Sen Marcos’ chief-of-staff was also sworn in as a member and vice-president of the party.
- The PFP was said to have been meeting with various politicians that they are eyeing to endorse or to ally with in the 2022 National Elections. They spoke with Harry Roque, Silvestre Bello III.
13 September 2021
‘Talagang mismanaged:’ Pacquiao hits government’s COVID-19 pandemic response
INQUIRER.net / 09:48 AM September 13, 2021
- This is the comment of Senate Manny Pacquiao and asserted that the government should ramp-up its vaccination efforts to minimize the deaths and hospitalization of Filipinos.
Did Michael Yang act alone in P8.7-billion Pharmally deals? – Lacson
Philippine Daily Inquirer / 04:58 AM September 13, 2021
- The Senate Blue Ribbon Committee Hearing on September 10 found that Michale Yan, Chinese businessman and economic adviser of Pres Duterte was proved to have had connections with Pharmally, a Chinese-based business that was alleged to be a conduit to the massive corruption committed by the DBM thorugh its Procurement Service.
- Michael Yang was said to have personally loaned money to the firm which only had a P625,000 paid-up capital as of September 2019. This enabled the company to bag P8.7 billion worth of contracts with the Philippine government
- According to Senator Lacson’s computation, Pharmally mahve have eraned at least 1.5B for selling 2 million PPE at P1,910, with a profit of around P760 apiece.
- The government contract with Pharmally is part of the P42 B pandemic response funds of the DOH that was transferred to the PS of the DBM. This was flagged recently by the COA due to lack of supporting documents.
- Meanwhile, church leaders have issued their joint statements to support Senators who are investigating corruption after Duterte threatened legislators anew.
P10.3- billion ‘savings’ in 2020 used to fund infra, not COVID fight – Colmenares
Philippine Daily Inquirer / 05:00 AM September 13, 2021
- Bayan Muna through its former Representative Atty Neri Colmenares alleges that the powers given to President Duterte to realign funds to better respond to COVID 19 have been appropriated to infrastructure projects that were not urgent, worse, were unrelated to the government’s pandemic response.
- The news article details the breakdown of the P10.3B in public funds that have been awarded to various agencies, but overwhelming to the DPWH and its infrastructure projects. The former congressman further believes that funds were used as carrot-and-stick tactic to ensure the support of certain areas there were neither his bailiwick or ally in the previous election.
Vilma Santos-Recto says she ‘may run for Senate or retire’
RG Cruz and Katrina Domingo, ABS-CBN News
Posted at Sep 13 2021 06:51 PM | Updated as of Sep 13 2021 08:34 PM
- Grace Poe revealed that Rep Vilma Santos-Recto may be running for Senate in the 2022 elections. While incumbent Senator Ralph Recto will replace her position as district representative.
- Meanwhile, Grace Poe is rumored to be the running with Isko Moreno but is yet to reveal her plans for the upcoming elections.
14 September 2021
Isko talks to Pacquiao as Leni tries to unify non-admin bets
SEP 14, 2021 1:15 PM PHT
- Sources reveal that the camp of Sen Pacquiao have been seeking an audience with Isko Moreno. While VP Robredo on the other hand is quite busy herself, meeting with leaders in an effort to unify the opposition. However, No decision was firmed up with regards to tandems.
Bongbong Marcos’ eldest son to run as Ilocos Norte 1st district representative
Philippine Daily Inquirer / 08:06 PM September 14, 2021
- Ferdinand Alexander “Sandro” Marcos announced his candidacy as first district representative of Ilocos Norte in the upcoming 2022 elections. He declared that he will deliver the same service that the Marcos has been extending to its people since they assumed office. Sandro Marcos is expected to go against another political family in Ilocos Norte.
Quiboloy lawyers smell politics in Pacquiao cyber libel suit
Inquirer Mindanao / 07:34 PM September 14, 2021
- Pacquiao filed a libel suit against Quiboloy from a television appearance and social media posted by the Latter where he claimed that the senator had misued funds for the unfihinsed Sarangani Sports Training Center.
- Quiboloy’s camp surmise that this action is stemmed from Pacquiao’s intent to run for higher office in the 2022 elections considering the timing of the libel suit.
Isko Moreno talks to farmers, says PH must aim for food self-sufficiency
INQUIRER.net / 09:44 PM September 14, 2021
- Manila Mayor Isko Moreno met with a farmers’ group online and told them about the significance of a country that is not reliant on agricultural imports. He said food self-sufficiency is crucial to feed the people and mitigate the impacts of volatile world prices.
Pacquiao to announce Eleksyon 2022 bid before October 1
By HANA BORDEY, GMA News
Published September 14, 2021 4:00pm
- Pacquiao is set to announce his decision for the 2022 polls before October 1 including his running mate should he proceed to seek higher office. He said that he denounces corruption and work towards his “22 rounds priority agenda” for the country.
- In a previous report, his 22 rounds priority agenda includes: 1) eradicating corruption, economic growth and development, employment program, housing program, and improving the healthcare system (related news: https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news/nation/801066/pacquiao-plots-22-round-agenda-ahead-of-eleksyon-2022/story/)
PDP-Laban Cusi faction: ‘Attacks’ vs. Duterte linked to Eleksyon 2022
By HANA BORDEY, GMA News
Published September 14, 2021 3:45pm
- PDP-Laban president Cusi said that the attacks from the opposition were “desperate attempts to thwart their looming defeat”
- Cusi cited efforts by the opposition to demolish the credibility of the administration such as the investigation being led by the Senate blue ribbon panel and allegations hurled at the president for overpriced tests, etc.
Youth coalition tells young Filipinos to vote candidates ‘who care about us’
SEP 14, 2021 5:27 PM PHT
- The youth alliance 1Sambayanan was launched and announced their 11-point youth agenda that served as basis of unity across youth groups and at the same time, the basis for supporting any candidate in the 2022 polls.
- The 11-pint youth agenda includes the following: 1) safe, quality and accessible education, 2) attainable and quality basic social services, 3) decent jobs, livable wage, and economic security, 4) rural development, 5) environmental protection and climate action, 6) uphold human rights, 7) just and lasting peace, 8) genuine equality and social protection for all, 9) press freedom, 10) independent foreign policy and national sovereignty, and 11) good governance, strong democratic institutions, and youth empowerment.
15 September 2021
Trusting ‘a lot has changed,’ Chel Diokno tries again for Senate
SEP 15, 2021 4:19 PM PHT
- Chel Diokno, a veteran human rights lawyer will be running as an independent candidate but is open to be a guest candidate of the Liberal Party.
- He believes that the political landscape has changed and he had two years to think about how to wage a better campaign with a good message and how to take advantage of the social media.
16 September 2021
Sara Duterte, Baste to seek reelection as Davao City mayor, vice mayor
SEP 16, 2021 4:45 PM PHT
- Presidential survey frontrunner Sara Duterte has decided to seek reelection as Davao City mayor in the 2022 elections. Sara served as mayor fom 2010 to 2013 then from 2016 to 2019. If she wins the same post next year, this would be her third consecutive term as mayor, given the limits imposed by the 1987 Constitution.
- For Sebastian Duterte, it would only be his second time to gun for a government position, His current post as vice mayor is his first time in public office.
Richard and Lucy Gomez won’t seek national posts in 2022 polls
SEP 16, 2021 4:06 PM PHT
- The celebrity couple will seek to switch places in 2022. Richard Gomez will run for Leyte 4th Distric representative while Lucy Torres-Gomez will run for Ormoc City mayor.
- Their camp, Ormoc Development team also released the official lineup of the Tores-Gomez-led local political party on Facebook on September 16.
17 September 2021
What would push Robredo to run in 2022?
SEP 17, 2021 6:42 PM PHT
- The possibility of seeing the return of the Marcoses to Malacanang is so unacceptable for Vice President Leni Robredo that it might just be the deciding point for her presidential bid in the high-stakes 2022 elections.
Isko Moreno volunteer network present in 53 provinces and counting – convenor
SEP 17, 2021 10:16 AM PHT
- Ikaw Muna (IM) Pilipinas is a network of volunteers and supporters of Manila mayor Isko Moreno that are well-entrenched in 53 provinces, including Metro Manila. It has 20,000 active volunteers enlisted.
- The group claims that they have no financial backer yet and that the members and volunteers themselves contribute whatever they can.
- The group are overwhelmed from the positive response of the people and positive position of Moreno in election surveys, but they believe that they have to work on their preference ratings in Visayas and Mindanao.
- The most recent IM Pilipinas chapter to spring up is the Isko Northern Alliance (INA) composed of volunteers from Ifugao, Ilocos Norte, Ilocos Sur, Pangasinan, Abra, Cagayan, and La Union.
- Related News: Rappler Talk: Tim Orbos on backing Isko Moreno for president; https://www.rappler.com/nation/elections/rappler-talk-tim-orbos-interview-backing-isko-moreno-president
19 September 2021
‘Go na go ako dun,’ says Robredo on Marcos’ one-on-one challenge in 2022 polls
INQUIRER.net / 11:55 AM September 19, 2021
- VP Leni said she is ready for a face-off against former Senator Bong Bong Marcos should the former senator run for the presidency. There are however other considerations for the current VP in order to firm up her decision.
- She said that she is ready to run if she will be chosen as the “unity candidate.” She said further that if the opposition vote will be split among different candidates, that will not be the best for the country because such split will benefit Duterte and not the people.
Manny Pacquiao to run for president in 2022
SEP 19, 2021 4:53 PM PHT
- The faction led by Pacquiao held its national assembly on Sunday, where its party members nominated him as the standard-bearer. Pacquiao was also granted the authority to choose his running mate, as well as his senate slate.
- He threw threats against the corrupt in government and told them that they will soon be locked together in prison, he went on saying “your time is up.”
- Pacquiao ranked 5th among preferred presidential candidates for the 2022 elections.
- Related news:
- Highlights: PDP-Laban Pacquiao faction national assembly; URL: https://www.rappler.com/nation/elections/updates-pdp-laban-pacquiao-faction-national-assembly-2021
Ex-Duterte allies in party row: ‘We will fight back against hijackers’
SEP 19, 2021 4:45 PM PHT
- Senator Koko Pimentel III, vowed to fight back against “greedy” hijackers who used their 38-year-old party to bring Rodrigo Duterte to power. Pimentel also said that the party will resist moves by the Cusi faction to take over the party his father founded.
- The infighting within the party started in 2018 ahead of the senatorial elections when Cusi’s group wanted to support political candidates that eh original members did not support. This rivalry intensified when the two factions was instructed by Duterte to hold their own council meeting in Cebu City where Cusi’s camp elected their own officials. Then Party Chair, Sen Pacquiao did not organize said meeting.
- Related news: TIMELINE: PDP-Laban’s infightings, legal battles among factions; URL: https://www.rappler.com/nation/elections/timeline-pdp-laban-infightings-legal-battles-among-factions-members
20 September 2021
Robredo, Moreno among 1Sambayan’s top bets to lead opposition in 2022
INQUIRER.net / 11:01 PM September 20, 2021
- 1Sambayan said that they’ll announce their presidential bet in the coming days. Convenor Etta Rosales revealed that VP Leni and Mayor Isko were among the top choices of the opposition coalition. Despite this, Rosales said that doors were still open to other choices, including Sen Pacquiao who recently announced his bid for the top position in the country.
Only Comelec can stop elections even amid lockdowns – Macalintal
INQUIRER.net / 08:55 PM September 20, 2021
- According to Macalintal, any “stoppage” due to lockdowns is equivalent to postponement or suspension of election which is within the exclusive power and jurisdiction of the Comelec en banc under the Omnibus Election Code and Republic Act 7166.
Rift between PDP-Laban factions unlikely to be mended — Cusi wing
INQUIRER.net / 05:29 PM September 20, 2021
- According to Melvin Matibag, the possible reconciliation and unification between the two factions in the PDP-Laban are already impossible.
- Sen. Pacquiao’s critical remarks against the current administration is reason enough to abandon efforts to reconcile even though the Cusi wing have been extending invitation to talk with the faction previously.
Declaration of Pacquiao as PDP-Laban presidential bet illegal — Cusi wing
INQUIRER.net / 11:10 AM September 20, 2021
- The PDP-Laban faction led by Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi is insisting that the national assembly held by Pacquiao’s camp on Sunday where the senator was declared as the party’s presidential candidate, was not sanctioned by the PDP-Laban.The Cusi wing said that the use of the “PDP” name was illegal asserting that the Pacquiao wing is not legitimate and not sanctioned by the party chairman, President Rodrigo Duterte.
‘It’s time for the downtrodden to win,’ Pacquiao says on declaring bid for presidency
Philippine Daily Inquirer / 05:28 AM September 20, 2021
- In his acceptance sppech as the presidential candidate of his faction, Sen Pacquiao said that it’s time for “downtrodden to win. It is time for our nation to rise up from poeverty.” He further insistent that a clean government is needed where “every centavo will go to every Filipino.”
- The article assed the “lackluster” performance of Senator Pacquiao since he won as district representative of the Sarangani province. He was also said to have wsitchced party four times since he assumed office.
Kabataan to Comelec: Junk NTF-ELCAC petition seeking to cancel our registration
SEP 20, 2021 7:24 PM PHT
DWIGHT DE LEON
- Kabataan Party-list urged the COMELEC to dismiss the petition of NTF-ELCAC seeking to bar the group from participating in the 2022 polls for lack of merit. Kabataan submitted a 33-page answer to the anti-communist task force’s petition.
- Kabataan is alleged to “have deceived and beguiled” youth and urge them to participate to in a terrorist organization. The party-list was alleged to have advocated acts of “violence or unlawful means.”
- These allegations however were falsified by the party-list and asserted that the anti-communist task force has no petitioner or evidence that will strengthen their case.
1Sambayan ‘divided’ between Robredo, Moreno in 2022 – convenor
SEP 20, 2021 7:21 PM PHT
- Convenor Etta Rosales said in a press briefing that the coalition was divided among two top contenders that had strong support within the coalition, VP Leni Moreno and Mayor Isko Moreno. VP Leni echoes the opposition calls for a “united opposition,” meanwhile, Moreno begged off from being the coalition’s nominee as he was “neither an administration or opposition candidate.” Despite talks, talks with Moreno are still ensuing.
Caloocan’s Edgar Erice leaves LP, joins Isko Moreno’s Aksyon
SEP 20, 2021 12:20 PM PHT
- Caloocan 2nd District Representative Edgar Erice has left the left the Liberal Party to join Aksyon Demokratiko. He was a member of LP for 18 years before deciding to switch because of “extraordinary times.”
- Erice is joined by six Caloocan City councilors who took their oaths before Moreno on September 20 in Manila. Erice also announced his plans to run for Caloocan mayor next year.
- In his speech Erice shared Moreno’s sentiment about the poor response of the administration in the health crisis.
Isko Moreno confirms meeting with Robredo, Pacquiao ahead of Eleksyon 2022 filing of candidacy
By ANNA FELICIA BAJO, GMA News
Published September 20, 2021 11:20am
- Moreno is the president of the Aksyon Demokratiko political party. He has not disclosed yet his final plans for Eleksyon 2022 but groups have been urging him to seek the presidency.
- Robredo previously said a meeting with Moreno and Pacquiao was being considered to form a united anti-administration ticket for the 2022 presidential polls.
21 September 2021
Comelec urged to rule on PDP-Laban row now
Philippine Daily Inquirer / 04:51 AM September 21, 2021
- Melvin Matibag, secretary-general of the PDP-Laban Cusi Wing appealed to the COMELEC to declare in the soonest time possible on who the legitimate faction is. The Cusi wing petitioned the Comelec to declare their group the legitimate party members. The losing camp will be treated as independent candidates.
- But while awaiting the poll body’s response, Matibag said their group had started issuing certificates of nomination and acceptance to about 50 congressmen and another 50 governors for next year’s elections.
Isko Moreno to run for president in 2022; formal announcement Sept 22
INQUIRER.net / 06:54 PM September 21, 2021
- Manila Mayor Isko Moreno Domagoso will make his formal announcement on Wednesday, September 22 as confirmed by the head of the Manila Public Information Office. The MPIO chief also confirmed that Moreno’s runningmate is physicial Dr Willie Ong.
- Related news:
- Rappler Talk Newsmaker: Isko Moreno and his presidential bid https://www.rappler.com/nation/rappler-talk/isko-moreno-interview-presidential-campaign
- Livestream: Isko Moreno presidential candidacy launch https://www.rappler.com/nation/elections/video-isko-moreno-presidential-candidacy-launch-september-2021
1Sambayan says it’s still screening its ‘pambato’
INQUIRER.net / 05:29 PM September 21, 2021
- The opposition coalition said that it was still in the final days of screening of nominees for the presidential elections. The screening procedure includes an internal survey that started on Sept 12 and end on Sept 25. Members of the coalition are being asked about issues that needs to be addressed by candidates seeking endorsement from the coalition.
Who is Doc Willie Ong, Isko Moreno’s VP?
SEP 21, 2021 7:01 PM PHT
- Dr Willie Ong who turns 58 in October, is a cardiologist and internist chosen by Mayor Isko Moreno as his runningmate in the 2022 elections. Ong ran for senator in 2019 although he did not make it to the Magic 12, he placed 18th and a good showing for a non-political heavyweight.
Isko Moreno to run for president in 2022
SEP 21, 2021 6:30 PM PHT
- The article contains a short profile of Mayor Isko Moreno and his political career when he started as city councilor of Manila in 1998 when he was still 23 years old.
From poverty to presidency? The many transformations of Manny Pacquiao
SEP 21, 2021 9:13 PM PHT
- The article contains a short profile of Senator Manny Pacquiao’s career as politician– dirt poor to billionaire, unorthodox boxer to world champion and absentee congressman to presidential aspirant.
22 September 2021
Lito Banayo: From Duterte campaign team to Isko Moreno’s
SEP 22, 2021 11:19 AM PHT
- Lito Banayo, former campaign manager and chairman of Manila Economic and Culutral Office, the country’s embassy in Taiwan, resigned from his post to lead the presidential campaign of Isko Moreno. Banayo said the the dismal pandemic response convinced him to abandon the current administration.
- Banayo played a critical role in Duterte’s sprawling and uncentralized but ultimately successful campaign machinery. Hehelp come up with Duterte’s slogan “Tapang at Malasakit.”
- Banayo offers to present Moreno as a viable alternative to the current leadership hence the slogan “Bilis, Kilos,” which is a result-oriented platform that is meant to give hope to the people.
Honey Lacuna seeks to succeed Isko Moreno as Manila mayor
SEP 22, 2021 11:17 AM PHT
DWIGHT DE LEON
- Alongside Mayor Isko Moreno’s declaration of candidacy for the presidential elections, he endorsed incumbent Vice-Mayor Honey Lacuna who will be gunning for the mayoral race in Manila. She will run with incumbent district three representative Yul Servo.
1Sambayan: Screening process to determine Eleksyon 2022 bets in its final days
By VIRGIL LOPEZ, GMA News
Published September 22, 2021 12:20pm
‘Brilliant’: Political analysts laud Isko’s campaign ad
Posted at Sep 22 2021 02:34 AM
- Political anaylysts lauded the 10-minute campaign ad of presidential aspirant Isko Moreno that valued education. His ad was a positive, negative advertisement and an articulation of platform carefully crafted so the ‘common tao’ can identify with him.
Mayor Sara should not wait for PRRD to withdraw — Secretary Paras
INQUIRER.net / 10:23 AM September 22, 2021
- The President’s adviser on political affairs, Secretary Jacinto Paras, said that Davo Mayor Sarah Duterte should just run for President in the 2022 national elections instead of waiting for President Duterte to reconsider his vice-presidential plans
- Paras said this amid Mayor Sara’s lead in all surveys that is an indication of the preference of the people. He said that “the niceties of a family agreement over this higher calling” should take the backseat in the “hireararchy of values” where God comes first, then country then family.”
Isko Moreno plans to end divisive politics if elected president | Evening wRap
SEP 22, 2021 11:05 PM PHT
- Manila Mayor Isko Moreno says he will ‘work with anybody’ from all political shades of the political spectrum should he win as president in the 2022 elections.
Serious candidate? Willie Ong says ‘saling pusa lang ako’
SEP 22, 2021 8:08 PM PHT
- The doctor and social media personality admitted that he sees himself as a “saling pusa” in the electoral race but at the same time, considers the opportunity to save lives.
- One of his platform includes rebooted pandemic response, with special focus on ensuring adequate supply of COVID-19 medicines and free testing among others.
WATCH: Isko Moreno on what he admires, rejects about Ferdinand Marcos
SEP 22, 2021 6:38 PM PHT
- Mayor Isko Moreno previously said that he admired Marcos in the sense that he is a visionary but rejects the military rule he enforced and the human rights abuses he committed.
Comelec orders Pacquiao group to comment on PDP-Laban row petition
SEP 22, 2021 5:07 PM PHT
DWIGHT DE LEON
- A document obtained by Rappler reveal that the COMELEC has asked the Pacquiao camp to file an answer on the petition filed by a the Cusi faction declaring them illegitimate. The said order was signed by Chairman Abas on September 22.
- The Cusi wing accused the rival faction for “usurping party authority and pretending to be representatives of the party”
Isko Moreno won’t block ABS-CBN franchise bid if he wins presidency
SEP 22, 2021 4:02 PM PHT
- Presidential aspirant Mayor Isko Moreno said that he won’t block any effort to grant a new franchise for ABS-CBN if he wins the presidential race.
- Isko said that he would let the media enjoy rights or privileges that enable corporations to run business in the country without fear of repression or unfair treatment.
- He is also for the decriminalization of libel, another clamor backed by journalists.
Isko Moreno pitches ‘inclusive, open’ governance in campaign launch
SEP 22, 2021 2:42 PM PHT
- Isko Moreno said that he is ready to work with anybody from all shades of the political spectrum for the betterment of the Philippines. He said that he will work for a government of “national reconstruction” and “healing” based on reconcilitaiton, on justice and rule of law.
- Isko Moreno also said that he will continue the Build, Build, Build projects that will benefit the Filipino people.
- He also said that he will institute an open governance policy where he welcomes criticism.
Isko’s COVID-19 plan: Boost healthcare system while opening economy
SEP 22, 2021 1:38 PM PHT
- Manila Mayor Isko Moreno laid out his plan to address the COVID-19 pandemic while ushering the economic recovery of the country.
- An important pillar to his proposal would be ensuring sufficient health facilities, equipment and medicine that would expedite the re-opening of the country’s economy.
- He cited his experience of building a 344-bed COVID-19 field hospital in 52 days that concluded even the Delta variant scourged the country.
- He expressed the need for a panel of experts in appropriate fields to lead the pandemic response.
Willie Ong joins Isko Moreno while still an official of pro-Duterte party
SEP 22, 2021 1:48 PM PHT
- Lakas-CMD secretary general Butch Pichay confirmed that Dr Willie Ong is still the vice president for health services of the party.
23 September 2021
[WATCH] Isko Moreno on Duterte: ‘Wala namang perpektong tao’
SEP 23, 2021 11:57 AM PHT
- In an interview with Rappler, Manila Mayor and Presidential aspirant Isko Moreno said to cut President Duterte some slack because “wala naming perpektong tao.” Isko Moreno has been associated with the administration but recently throw barbs against the administration over the dismal pandemic response.
- Mayor Isko said that he can “work with anybody” regardless of political color.
Amid crackdown on Left, Neri Colmenares goes for 3rd Senate run
SEP 23, 2021 1:26 PM PHT
- Former Bayan Muna Representative Atty Neri Colmenares announced his intention to run for Senate for the third time on September 23 via his personal twitter account. In the last elections he ranked 24 in an election dominated by allies of President Duterte.
- In an interview with Rappler, Atty Neri said that the reason the Makabayan Bloc persists despite relentless attacks from the government is because “we are doing the right things and the people believe we are needed in Congress precisely because the people believe they need ot have a voice there.”
- For his part, Atty Neri said that the fragmentation of the left was culprit to the seemingly formidable force of the opposition, who already has at their disposal, state coffers to fund their campaign. He said that he is hopeful that all presidential aspirants will still come to an agreement towards a unified opposition to defeat the Duterte-Marcos alliance.
INSIDE STORY: Isko’s VP search – the rough, winding road to Willie Ong
SEP 23, 2021 1:36 PM PHT
- Manila Mayor Isko Moreno shared with Rappler the ordeal of looking for a vice president. Moreno initially wished to run with Senator Grace Poe but Poe was reluctant to join the race due to a hurtful and highly divisive 2016 elections. Eventually talks fell through.
- Moreno also met with Senator Manny Pacquiao and neither of them wanted to slide down to a VP position.
- Moreno also met with VP Leni Robredo who was determined to form a non-administration candidates.
- Moreno had commissioned a survey to have an initial assessment of the potentioal of Willie Ong running for the VP. The survey yielded positive results that led to the formation of the tandem.
Isko Moreno open to Philippines rejoining ICC under his watch
SEP 23, 2021 2:45 PM PHT
- Manila Mayor Isko Moreno said that he would support the return of the Philippines to the International Criminal Court should he win the presidency if this would vie the country a good impression.
- But Moreno did not categorically answer when asked if he would cooperate in the ICC’s probe on drug killings. Instead he said that he would furnish the body with public documents that would assist the investigation. He further said that he will open up investigation If cases will be filed in his time, and will ensure that “justice will be served and rule of law will be observed.”
PDP-Laban Cusi faction ‘not concerned’ about facing Isko-Willie Ong in 2022 elections
SEP 23, 2021 6:20 PM PHT
- The PDP-Laban Cusi Wing was unfazed with the announcement of Isko-Willie Ong tandem, instead they are focused at their “own strengths and weaknesses.” The faction said that it is still banking on the president’s popularity as evidenced by the recent satisfaction rating of the president in the SWS survey.
- PDP-Laban forged an alliance with Pederalismo ng Dugong Dakilang Samahan or PDDS, the national party of Presidential Anti-Corruption Commission Chairman, Greco Belgica. Belgica is part of the Cusi wing’s senatorial slate.
[OPINION] How about we crowdfund candidates in the Philippines?
SEP 23, 2021 7:54 AM PHT
EMIL MARAÑON III
- Author cites the “antiquated” provision in the Omnibus Election Code, specifically Sections 98 and 99 that present hurdles to people who can only contribute small amounts to their favored candidates and reveals that there could be a workaround.
- Author asserts that crowdfunding, where contributions is spread across so many people and therefore politicians will be less beholden to a single funder who fueled his or her campaign by the millions or billions.
- The author suggests that contributions can be made by supporters before the “actual campaign period” as per Penera vs Comelec (GR No. 181613, November 25, 2009).
24 September 2021
KBL nominates Bongbong Marcos for president
SEP 24, 2021 10:05 AM PHT
- KBL officially nominated Bongbong Marcos as the party’s presidential candidate but BongBong Marcos has yet to accept the nomination.
- The article contains information on the political career of BongBong Marcos since he started in the local politics of Ilocos Norte.
Isko Moreno won’t drop charges against De Lima if elected president
SEP 24, 2021 11:32 AM PHT
- Presidential candidate Isko Moreno said that he is not going to drop charges made against Senator Leila de Lima and leaves it to the court to decide on the matter. This is despite the consensus among human rights advocates that Sen Leila de Lima’s incarceration was politically-motivated and a desperate move by Duterte who was afraid of prosecution for the violations he committed as mayor of Davao City.
What’s Bongbong Marcos’ 2022 plan? ‘Everyone’s rethinking’
SEP 24, 2021 3:02 PM PHT
- Former Senator Bongbong Marcos revealed that a tandem with President Duterte might be unlikely, instead, he is actively seeking talks with other groups in order to finalize his 2022 moves.
- He also said that the Sara-Duterte tandem is “probably out of the question for now.”
Duterte’s Girlie to run for Congress in Cagayan de Oro, congressman says
SEP 24, 2021 4:45 PM PHT
- Broadcaster Joyleen Mercedes “Girlie” Balaba is gunning for the position of the 2nd district representative of Cagayan de Oro. Balaba is said to be President Duterte’s “closest frined” in the city. In the locality, she is revered as the “sacred cow” because of her connections with Malacanang.
Robredo assures supporters: ‘What’s meant to happen will happen’
SEP 24, 2021 7:35 PM PHT
- On September 24, VP Robredo appeared before the public assuring the public that she is well aware of the deadlines and said that “what’s meant to happen will happen.” She asked for people to continue trusting her decisions and that her ultimate desire is to end a leadership that is causing the misery, suffering and death of many Filipino people.
Agan launches mayoral bid in Zamboanga, ‘adopts’ Climaco as guest bet
SEP 24, 2021 9:08 PM PHT
- Zamboange Vice Mayor Rommel Agan formally launched his bid for the city’s mayorship and announced his group’s support for Mayor Maria Climaco who will run in the city’s 1st district.
Duterte warns he would use military to ensure free elections
SEP 24, 2021 9:56 PM PHT
- President Duterte warned that he would use the military to ensure free and orderly elections in 2022. He pleaded for peace in the conduct of the 2022 polls, referreing to areas in Mindanao that are known to have problems during elections.
25 September 2021
Pacquiao, Rivera, Antonino groups seen to clash for General Santos leadership
SEP 25, 2021 6:13 PM PHT
- It’s a three-cornered fight in General Santos City where the mayoral post is eyed by the split of the Ronnel C. Rivera Movement and the People’s Champ Movement of Senator Manny Pacquiao. The third contender is the decades-old Achievement with Integrity Movement (AIM) of the Antonio political clan.
- RCR will field Jane Rivera, the wife of the mayor. While PCM will filed Senator Pacquiao’s sister-in-law Lorelie Pacquiao.
Siao eyes Iligan’s top post vs priest turned vice mayor
SEP 26, 2021 10:32 AM PHT
- Iligan Representative Frederick Siao on Saturday, September 25, launched his bid for the city’s mayoral post against Mayor Celso Regencia’s preferred successor, Catholic pries turned Vice Mayor Jemar “Monsi” Vera Cruz.
- Siao will be running under the Nacionalista Party-NUP ticket.
26 September 2021
Still in search of ‘pambato,’ 1Sambayan meets with Leni, Isko, Pacquiao, Trillanes
SEP 26, 2021 3:50 PM PHT
- On September 26, 1Sambayanan announced that it is still consulting with VP Leni Robredo, former senator Antonio Tirllanes IV, Manila Mayor Isko Moreno and Senator Manny Pacquiao as part of hteir process to select their bet in the 2022 elections. The consultation is aimed at forging unity to ensure that the candidate that they will endorse for president has good character, capability, and an excellent track record.
Pacquiao accepts second nomination for president from PROMDI party
Katrina Domingo, ABS-CBN News
Posted at Sep 26 2021 10:52 PM | Updated as of Sep 26 2021 11:24 PM
- Sen. Manny Pacquiao on Sunday received his second nomination for president from Probinsya Muna Development Initiative (PROMDI), solidifying support from several Visayan politicians.
- PROMDI chose the boxer-senator as its standard bearer because he “represents the dreams and aspirations of all promdis” – a Filipino slang used to refer to people from the province – said Mimo Osmeña, son of the party founder.
Membership up 300 pct: Aksyon Demokratiko to field over 500 candidates for Halalan 2022
Katrina Domingo, ABS-CBN News
Posted at Sep 27 2021 09:24 AM | Updated as of Sep 27 2021 09:36 AM
- Aksyon Demokratiko will be fielding at least 600 national and local candidates in the 2022 elections after membership of the once-small party recently grew by “300 percent” according to Party Chairman Ernest Ramel Jr.
27 September 2021
Isko Moreno wants to use US alliance to improve maritime defense
SEP 27, 2021 11:30 AM PHT
- Presidential candidate Isko Moreno wants the US to extend its naval capacity in order for the country to be capacitated to defend its territorial waters as an archipelagic country.
Murad endorses Toto Mangudadatu for Maguindanao governor
SEP 27, 2021 12:39 PM PHT
- BARMM chief minister Murad Ebrahim endorsed Esmael Toto Mangudadatu, current 2nd district representative of Maguindanao, as governor. The endorsent risks repeating the 2019 gubernatorial fight between the Mangudadatus.
Samira Gutoc, Carl Balita to run for senator under Isko’s Aksyon
SEP 27, 2021 4:11 PM PHT
- Fifty-two local government politicians join Aksyon Demokratiko including albay Vice Governor Grex Lagman, Pateros Mayor Ike Ponce, Quezin City Countilor Irene Belmonte and more.
Former Comelec Commissioner Larrazabal says to run for Leyte Rep. in 2022 polls
Posted at Sep 27 2021 10:02 PM | Updated as of Sep 28 2021 07:55 AM
- Former Commission on Elections Commissioner Gregorio Larrazabal will run for a congressional post in Leyte in 4th district of the province next year. The current post is held by Rep Lucy Torres-Gomez. In the upcoming elections he might go against incumbent mayor Richard Gomez.
Makabayan backs Colmenares, Labog for senators; bares party-list bets for 2022 polls
Posted at Sep 27 2021 05:26 PM
- The Makabayan coalition on Monday endorsed the senatorial bids of Bayan Muna chair Neri Colmenares and Kilusang Mayo Uno chair Bong Labog and unveiled their party-list nominees for the 2022 elections.
- Colmenares earlier said he would seek a seat at the upper House “if only to deliver the sharpest message of critique to the candidate of President [Rodrigo] Duterte.”
- Bong Labog was nominated by party-list Anakpawis.
28 September 2021
Voter registration period likely to be extended — Comelec
- The COMELEC through its spokesperson Dir James Jimenez announced that the Commission’s en bank will be meeting on Wednesday may likely favor the extension of registration in consideration of public clamor.
Is ‘united opposition’ in 2022 still possible? Robredo says she can’t lose hope
INQUIRER.net / 09:12 AM September 28, 2021
- VP Leni Robredo said she is not losing hope despite the impossibility of a united opposition for the 2022 elections. She said that she has been making aspirants understand the importance of the upcoming elections that is crucial to “take back the soul of our nation.”
VP Robredo on possible 2022 presidential bid: I surrender it to God
INQUIRER.net / 09:25 AM September 28, 2021
- VP Robredo says that she remains open and ready to run for the president in the 2022 elections and she is leaving the decision up to God. She said that is taking the clamor for her candidacy very prudently. She said she is weighing her decision against the best interest of the nation.
Lacson bares talks with Tulfo, Piñol on possible Senate run for 2022 polls
INQUIRER.net / 09:39 AM September 28, 2021
- Presidential candidate Senator Lacson reveals that he is talking with television personality Raffy Tulfo and former Agriculture Secretary Manny Pinol on their possible Senate run in the 2022 national elections. Senator Lacson said that Tulfo is resolving minor issues.
- He also said that other senatoriables in their ticket icnlud Senator JV Ejercito, Juan Miguel Zubiri and Senator Joel Villanueva.
- Senator Lacson said that Sen Gatchalian is still thinking hard about his decision for the 2022 elections. Senator Gatchalian is also said to be eying the vice presidency in the upcoming elections.
Palace: Duterte knows VP bid doesn’t violate Constitution but will listen to public opinion
INQUIRER.net / 01:53 PM September 28, 2021
- President Rodrigo Duterte believes that his VP bid is not a violation of the Constitution but keeps an open ear to those who said that it is a “violation of the intent of the Constitution” as revealed by a survey by the SWS.
Lacson sees ‘very slim’ chance of united opposition ticket in 2022
INQUIRER.net / 12:07 PM September 28, 2021
- Senator Lacson believes that the opposition has a very slim chance of forging a united opposition in time for the 2022 elections. But Senator Lacson also said that nothing is final until the last day of filing in October before anything can be conclusive.
LP’s 2022 Senate slate nominees: Pangilinan, De Lima, Aquino, Hontiveros, Diokno
INQUIRER.net / 11:57 AM September 28, 2021
- The Liberal Party held its National Executive Council meeting today and officially nominated candidates for its senatorial slate. Through a resolution, Senator Pangilinan, Leilal de Lima and former Senator Bam Aquino were nominated. Meanwhile non-party members Senator Risa Hontiveros and human rights lawyer Chel Diokno were to be guest candidates of the LP senatorial slate.
- The meeting also passed a resolution granting VP robredo “full authority and discretion” to conduct talks and agreements with other opposition stakeholders in the 2022 elections.
Labor leader Leody De Guzman to seek presidency in Eleksyon 2022
By CONSUELO MARQUEZ, GMA News
Published September 28, 2021 4:20pm
- The Partido Lakas ng Masa (PLM) national convention nominated Leody DeGuzman as the party’s standard bearer for the national and local polls. De Leon during the online convention accepted the nomination. He ran for senator in the previous elections but conceded defeat. De Leon is the chairman of Bukluran ng Manggagawang Pilipino and founding member of Nagkaisa Labor Coalition.
Hontiveros: United opposition is surefire way to beat Duterte candidate
By: Carla Gomez – @inquirerdotnet
Inquirer Visayas / 06:14 PM September 28, 2021
- Senator Hontiveros hopes for a united front against of non-administration candidates to defeat President Rodrigo Duterte. If there will be multiple candidates for the presidency, she hopes that at least a united front will be forged.
Labor leader Leody de Guzman to run for president in 2022 elections
By: Zacarian Sarao – @inquirerdotnet
07:28 PM September 28, 2021
- De Guzman, a member of the Partido Lakas ng Masa was nominated by his party as its official presidential candidate for the 2022 elections. De Guzman is known to champion workers’ rights.
Despite landslide 2019 loss, labor leader Leody de Guzman to run for president
SEP 28, 2021 6:19 PM PHT
- Labor leader Leody De Guzman accepted his party’s nomination motivated by their common desire not only to change the regime but to change the system. He said further that he will take this opportunity to maximize “a bigger platform to campaign for labor rights—to raise minimum wages and abolish contractualization”
- Previously the party launched a signature campaign to urge former Akbayan Representative Walden Bello to run for the presidency. Bello said that he will run if the campaign successfully garners 300,000 signatures.
- Meanwhile the leftist Makabayan Bloc also revealed their respective nominees for their party-lists:
- Bayan Muna:
- 1st Nominee: former rep Teddy Casino
- 2nd Nominee: incumbent rep Ferdinand Gaite
- 3rd Nominee: Amirah Lidasan
- 4th Nominee: NUPL and human rights lawyer Kristina Conti
- 5th Nominee: Pepito Pico
- 6th Nominee: John Ruiz
- 7th nominee: roman Polintan
- 1st Nominee: Arlene Brosas (incumbent rep)
- 2nd Nominee: Jean Lindo
- 3rd Nominee: Lucy Francisco
- Anakpawis: will field former DAR secretary and Anakpawis rep Ka Paeng Mariano
- Kabataan: will field current NUSP chairperson Raoul Manuel
- Bayan Muna:
Dodot Jaworski ‘honored’ to run with Vico Sotto in Pasig elections next year
Posted at Sep 28 2021 11:07 PM | Updated as of Sep 28 2021 11:20 PM
- Dodot Jaworski will be running for vice-mayor as a tandem of incumbent Mayor Vico Sotto. A former basketball player, Jaworski served as Pasig representative from 2004 to 2007. He ran for mayor in 2007 but lost to Bobby Eusebio, whom Sotto defeated in the 2019 midterm elections.
Lawyer Alex Lacson to run for VP under Ang Kapatiran party in 2022 polls
Posted at Sep 28 2021 07:54 PM | Updated as of Sep 28 2021 08:39 PM
- Atty Lacson, a book author will be running for VP because he believes that on the basis on surveys, there is no “favorite” or runaway candidate for the position and thus it can be anybody’s game.
- Founded by anti-gun advocate Reynaldo “Nandy” Pacheco, Ang Kapatiran party–which espouses traditional Catholic values–has been fielding candidates since the 2007 national elections
29 September 2021
Despite drop, Sara Duterte still leads possible presidential bets poll
SEP 29, 2021 11:54 AM PHT
- Presidential daughter and Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte is still leading the polls for the 2022 presidency but with a significant drop in voter preference according to the Pulse Asia survey. Sara incurred an 8-point drop from 28% to 20% in June.
- Statistically tied in second place are Bongbong Marcos, Mayor Isko Moreno and Senator Manny Pacquiao
- They are followed by Grace Poe, VP Leni Robredo whose rating increased by 2 points, Sen Panfilo Lacson, Alan Peter Cayetano and Senator Bong Go in last place at 3%.
- The surbey was done when most politicians haven’t announced their respective bids yet.
Sotto surges past Duterte in Pulse VP survey
SEP 29, 2021 12:54 PM PHT
- Senate President Vicente Sotto III and VP aspirant surged past President Duterte in the Pulse Asia Polls for September. Sotto enjoys 25% of support of the Filipinos compared to the 14% rating of President Duterte.
- Duterte was closely followed by Manila Mayor Isko Moreno at 12% and BongBong Marcos with 12%. Meanwhile Sen Pacquiao and Senator Bong Go has a 7% rating each.
Adiong family to face imams, Islamic scholar in Lanao del Sur races
SEP 29, 2021 2:12 PM PHT
- The local leadership of the Adiongs in Lanao del Sur is challenged by a group of imams and Islaamic scholar in the province.
- Incumbent governor Mamintal Adiong Jr announced that he will be seeking reelection with his son Vice Governor Mohammand Khalid Adiong under the party Lakas-CMD and Sambatan ko Inged Ago Pagtao coalition.
- Meanwhile, the youngest brother, Ziaur-Rahman Adiong will run for congressman fot he 1st district currently held by their sibling Ansaruddin Abdul Malik Adiong.
- Gov Adiong will be challenged by Amerroddin Sarangani, former special envoy for Islamic affairs and member of the Ummah Party allied with PDP-Laban
- Sarangi will be running with Saad Ibrahim Amate of PDP-Laban and also national president of United Imams of the Philippines Foundation
- The Ummah Party is also seeking a coalition with the United Bangsamoro Justice Party founded by the Moro Islamic Liberation Front whose leaders are now dominating the BARMM.
In limbo, political parties still wait for alliance with Sara Duterte
SEP 29, 2021 7:13 PM PHT
- Mayor Sara’s announcement that she will not run for presidency has left national political parties in “limbo.” Parties such as the Nacionalista, Lakas-CMD, NUP, PMP, said they are still waiting for their coalition with Duterte’s HnP. These parties were earlier reported to support Sara even before her announcement that she will not run for the highest position.
House of Estrada seeks comeback: JV, Jinggoy running for senator in 2022
SEP 29, 2021 8:26 PM PHT
- Former senators Jinggoy and younger half-brother JV Ejercito have announced their respective bids for a senate seat in the upcoming 2022 elections. In 2019, Ejercito was included in Duter’te senatorial slate as a guest candidate. Both former senators were part of the senatorial slate of Mayor Sara’s HnP.
1Sambayan poll: Robredo, Trillanes top picks for president, VP
By: Maila Ager – Reporter / @MAgerINQ
INQUIRER.net / 08:55 PM September 29, 2021
- The internal survey among coalition members have resulted to VP Leni as top choice for presidency and Senator Trillanes as VP bet of the 1Sambayan coalition.
- Convenor Rosales however did not confirm the survey saying it remains internal and not for media release.
Richard Gomez spills why Lucy Torres declined 2022 Senate bid offers
Katrina Domingo, ABS-CBN News
Posted at Sep 29 2021 11:39 PM
- Lucy Torres’ decision to run for a local post instead was not because of her refusal to be caught in between different political groups who have invited her into their respective slates. According to Mayor Richard Gomez, Rep Torres recognizes the need to fix Ormoc City and that is the primary consideration why the congresswoman is not seeking higher office.
Leni Robredo tatakbo muling VP sa 2022? [Video]
Posted at Sep 29 2021 08:36 PM
- Muling pinulong ni Vice President Leni Robredo ang mga opisyal ng Liberal Party kaugnay sa tayo ng partido para sa halalan 2022. Pero nasa gitna ng matinding pag-iisip si Robredo ayon kay Senator Kiko Pangilinan. Tuloy pa din ang pakikipag-usap ng LP sa iba’t ibang kampo na nagnanais na tuldukan ang administrasyon ni Duterte. Kasama sa nagiging konsiderasyon ay pagtakbo ni VP Leni sa parehong posisyon kung ito ang magiging paraan para magkaroon ng isang ‘united opposition.’
30 September 2021
It’s official, Ace to run as Cebu governor
By: Morexette Marie B. Erram – Multimedia Reporter – CDN Digital|September 30,2021 – 08:32 AM
- Former tourism secretary Ace Durano announced his bid for governor of Cebu. He will run against incumbent governor Gwendolyn Garcia of One Cebu party. Durano said his motivation to run was his desire to address the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Durano will be running under the Bakud Alang sa Kauswagan ug Demokrasya (Bakud). There are rumors circulating that he will run with Vice Gov Hilario Davide III son for former Chief Justice Hilariod Davide Jr.
#Halalan2022: Bobby Andrews, Angelu de Leon to run for local government positions
Posted at Sep 30 2021 12:47 AM
- Angelu de Leon former star of youth show TGIS wil be running as councilor in the 2nd district of Pasig under the party of incumbent Mayor Vico Sotto
- Bobby Andrews also will be running as councilor in the 4th district of Quezon City
- Angelu and Bobby are joins other television personalities Claudine Baretto, Nash Aguas, Ejay Falcon and Javi Benitez who have all expressed their intent to run for local public office.
With 4-5 prominent presidential bets, 2022 poll results may be as divided as 1992 – Pulse Asia chief
Trishia Billones, ABS-CBN News
Posted at Sep 30 2021 10:55 AM | Updated as of Sep 30 2021 11:05 AM
- Pulse Asia President Ronald Holmes on Thursday said the results of the 2022 presidential elections may be as divided as the 1992 elections and the next leader of the country may again be elected by a plurality vote.
1Sambayan endorses Leni Robredo for president
SEP 30, 2021 2:24 PM PHT
- In a press conference dubbed as TAPATan, 1Sambayan declared their nomination for VP Leni Robredo as the coalitions most preferred Presidential candidate. It is up to VP Leni to accept the nomination. The coalition also gave her the discretion to choose among the top nominees for VP and to form the complete slate for senatorial candidates of the coalition
- In the press conference, convenor former Chief Justice Antonio Carpio said that they will still pursue talks with other candidates in the hopes of forging a united opposition.
Bacolod vice mayor stays with Leonardia group; ex-councilor says Benitez offered him post
SEP 30, 2021
- Bacolod City Vice Mayor El Cid Montilla Familiaran that he would stay in Mayor Evelino Leonardia’s Grupo Progreso slate amid rumors of a possible breakaway.
- Familiaran’s statement came on the same day as former three-term city councilor Caesar Distrito announced that Leonardia’s main rival for the 2022 polls, former Negros Occidental 3rd District representative Alfredo Abelardo “Albee” Benitez, had offered him the vice mayoralty slot. Distrito, who is also part of GP, said he is still thinking about the offer.
Unity talks still alive? 1Sambayan hopes other bets would give way to Robredo
SEP 30, 2021 7:14 PM PHT
- Based on the press conference and announcement of 1Sambayanan’s endorsement of VP Leni as the coalition’s presidential nominee, Justice Carpio said that they are not giving up on the opposition. But they are hoping that the future talks with unite on backing VP Leni as the ‘united opposition’ candidate.
Makabayan not fully on board yet on Robredo nomination
SEP 30, 2021 8:37 PM PHT
- Bayan Muna first nominee Teddy Casino said that while VP Leni Robredo was a worthy candidate, they feel that the decision to narrow down the options for a single candidate despite several aspirants now gunning for the presidency is a losing strategy for the opposition coalition. Casino also said that the coalition was ‘putting prime importance on having one candidate for all of the political opposition’ that may have limited the options of the coalition. He said that all options should still be considered at this point.
- Atty Neri Colmenares, a senatorial candidate said that he was no longer active as the convenor of the coalition and might not run under the banner of the group.
1Sambayan can’t compel bets to back its decision to pick Robredo — Carpio
By: Gabriel Pabico Lalu – Reporter / @GabrielLaluINQ
INQUIRER.net / 10:11 PM September 30, 2021
- Although 1Sambayan will still pursue unity talks with other presidential aspirants, they cannot compel them to back the coalition’s candidate because that will be against their democratic freedom. However, they will still push and persuade the unity under their moral and not legal obligation.
1 October 2021
1Sambayan picks Leni despite her silence, low poll ranking
By: Jhesset O. Enano, Krixia Subingsubing – @inquirerdotnet
Philippine Daily Inquirer / 05:32 AM October 01, 2021
- Justice Antonio Carpio revealed that VP Leni is the coalition’s top Presidential bet albeit without a consensus, instead VP Leni won by an ‘overwhelming majority.’ Justice Carpio however did not disclose to the public the outcomes of the internal survey.
- 1Sambayan is confident that VP Leni will accept their nomination.
- When asked about the low performance of VP Leni in recent surveys, Justice Carpio said that historically, those who performed well in surveys at this period before the elections, did not win the elections. The surveys that mattered, according to him, are those released February onwards which more or less approximates the outcome of the actual elections.
Celine Pialago leaves MMDA, to vie for House seat as partylist representative
INQUIRER.net / 08:17 AM October 01, 2021
- Assistant Secretary Celine Pialago announced her departure from the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) on Friday to take a shot at a seat in the House of Representatives under a party-list in next year’s polls.
- She will represent the Malasakit Movement Partylist which represents the interest of workers, barangay representatives, kagawad, barangay tanod frontliners and health workers which, according to her, ‘less appreciated’ in the time of the pandemic.
- Pialogo was recently the target of public criticism over her callous remarks calling the death and burial of Reina Mae Nasino’s baby as “drama serye.”
Lito Atienza is Pacquiao’s vice presidential pick
OCT 1, 2021 9:07 AM PHT
- House Deputy Speaker Lito Atienza filed his certificate for candidacy for VP with Manny Pacquiao as his running mate.
- Sen Pacquiao said he chose Atienza because of his length of service to the people, citing his 50-year record in public service.
- Atienza served as Manila mayor for three terms from 1998 to 2007. He was also environment and natural resources secretary under GMA.
Chiz Escudero running for senator
OCT 1, 2021 9:11 AM PHT
- Sorsogon Governor Francis “Chiz” Escudero filed his certificate of candidate for Senator in the 2022 elections. He will be running under the NPC party. Escudero said that he we use his position to solve “economic and public health problems” in the country and strengthen local government units which have been “greatly undermined” by the national government.
First presidential bet to file candidacy: Manny Pacquiao
OCT 1, 2021 9:29 AM PHT
- Senator Manny Pacquiao was first to file his COC on the first day of filing. He had a swarm of supporters outside the Sofitel, during his filing.
- In a brief speech he said that he would resolve the economic impacts of the pandemic to generate and bring back jobs to the people.
- He ran under the PROMDI party because of the on-going scuffle in PDP-Laban.
Seeking second term, Vico Sotto files COC for Pasig mayor
OCT 1, 2021 10:02 AM PHT
DWIGHT DE LEON
- Mayor Vico Sotto will be running for re-election in the upcoming elections with Dodot Jaworski as his running mate. Jaworski also served as congressman of Pasig from 2004-2007.
From Senate secretary, Lutgardo Barbo now wants to be senator
OCT 1, 2021 10:48 AM PHT
- Lutgardo Barbo was elected Senate secretary in previous Congresses extended his legislative and administrative support to the Philippine Senate. He was also a long-time aide to former Senate President Aquilino “Nene” Pimentel and his son, Koko Pimentel III.
- He will join the senatorial race under the PDP-Laban Party.
- He slammed Duterte for seeking vice presidency in 2022 and he said that the problem of the country is good leadership.
Running or not? Robredo transfers registration, keeps allies, rivals guessing
OCT 1, 2021 2:14 PM PHT
- Vice President Leni Robredo is now a registered voter in Magarao, a move that would allow her to run for Camarines Sur governor.
- This voter registration transfer clears the way for the Vice President to run for Camarines Sur governor, as those living in independent component cities like Naga cannot vote nor run for any provincial post.
Abby Binay seeks 3rd term as Makati mayor
OCT 1, 2021 2:42 PM PHT
- Makati Mayor Abby Binay will seek re-election in the upcoming 2022 elections. It wil be her third term as local chief should she win the race.
Wes, Rex Gatchalian seek to switch Valenzuela posts in 2022
OCT 1, 2021 3:13 PM PHT
- Wes Gatchalian, incumbent 1st District Representative of Valenzuela will be switching places with his brother Rex Gatchalian who is now the city’s mayor. The two will be running under the Nationalist People’s Coalition and under the local coalition in Valuenzuela “Tuloy Progreso, Valenzuela!”
Senatorial aspirant security guard’s speech wins over netizens
OCT 1, 2021 6:00 PM PHT
- Phil delos Reyes, a security guard filed his certificate for candidacy to run for Senator in the 2022 elections. He spoke to the members of the media and plans to continue to continue President Duterte’s work against drugs, poverty, the New People’s Army, corruption and calamity. He also said that he is committed to improve the quality of life of the Filipnos.
- Netizens were quick to suggest to raise funds for the candidate and urged COMELEC not to dismiss delos Reyes as a nuisance candidate.
2 October 2020
In surprise move, Bong Go runs for vice president
OCT 2, 2021 3:33 PM PHT
- Contrary to expectations that he would run for president, presidential aide-turned-senator Bong Go is running for the vice presidency under the PDP-Laban in the 2022 elections.
- Go was accompanied by Duterte who announced his retirement from politics in the same event.
- The senator said that he will continue Duterte’s war on drugs, corruption and criminality.
Duterte says he’s retiring from politics as Filipinos reject his VP run
OCT 2, 2021 4:38 PM PHT
- Speaking to the press in SOFITEL after most trusted aide and senator Bong Go filed his COC for the VP bid, Duterte announced that he will be retiring from politics. He said that the decision was a result of the “overwhelming sentiment” of the Filipinos that running for vice president would “circumvent” the law.
- The sudden moves of Duterte and Go begs the question on who the PDP-LABAN standard bearer would be.
Pacquiao abandoned PDP-Laban with PROMDI filing, says Cusi faction
OCT 2, 2021 5:09 PM PHT
- The ruling Cusi faction said that Sen Pacquiao’s decision to run under PROMDI party is an indication that he “abandoned” the PDP-Laban party. Melvin Matibag, secretary-general of the Cusi faction said that filing a certificate of candidacy for any office or position under the auspices of another political party is grounds for “automatic expulsion” according to the constitution of the party.
- Senator Koko Pimentel said that Matibag was mistaken. He said that Pacquiao’s move was within the bounds of the party constitution and is just the realization of the “MP3 Alliance” alliance and cooperation agreement between PDP Laban, PROMDI, and PCM and also is in accordance with the National Executive Committee Resolution No 12.
3 October 2021
Raffy wants to bring Tulfo brand of justice to Senate
OCT 3, 2021 11:08 AM PHT
- TV personality Raffy Tulfo, popularly known as ‘idol’ seeks to bring to senate the brand of justice that has propelled the Tulfo brothers to national fame.
- Tulfo said that he plans to push for laws to protect the poor who are easily abused.
- Tulfo will be running as an independent candidate.
Running mate search? Robredo meets with Lacson and Sotto
OCT 3, 2021 12:30 PM PHT
- VP Leni met with Presidential candidate Panfilo Lacson and his running mate Senate President Tito Sotto on Saturday, October 2.
- Drilon confirmed the meeting as part of “Robredo’s ongoing efforts to forge a united front for all dissenting forces against President Rodrigo Duterte.”
Cusi faction kicks Pacquiao out of PDP-Laban over PROMDI candidacy
OCT 3, 2021 1:01 PM PHT
- PDP-Laban Cusi Wing said that they had “automatically expelled” Sen Manny Pacquiao because he chose to run under a different party. This was a result of the national executive committee meeting on October 1 that approved the senator’s automatic expulsion.
- Meanwhile, Koko Pimentel of the Pacquiao wing said that the senator-boxer’s action is supported by the National Executive Committee Resolution no. 12 that allows the use of PROMDI’S certification of nomination and acceptance in filing his candidacy.
‘It will take a miracle’ for Sara to change her mind – Baste Duterte
OCT 3, 2021 1:46 PM PHT
- Baste Duterte says his sister is known to him as someone who does not repeat things she has already said. He said further that it will take a “miracle” for Srah to change her decision to seek another post.
- Baste also said that he will travel to Comelec in Manila to file the COC of his elder brother “Polong” Duterte who is seeking reelection as Davao congressman.
Buzzer-beater: Mindanao civic leader Samira Gutoc files candidacy for senator
OCT 3, 2021 5:27 PM PHT
- Samira Gutoc, Marawi civic leader and former opposition candidate will be running for senate under Isko Moreno’s Aksyon Demokratiko. Gutoc said she will use her experience as a crisis worker to help the poortest parts of the country with legislation.
- Gutoc she said that she is running under Moreno’s ticket because they have had worked together in various outreach and humanitarian programs and shares the same sentiment for displaced workers, teachers, etc.
4 October 2021
Isko Moreno, Willie Ong file candidacies for president, VP
OCT 4, 2021 11:43 AM PHT
- Manila Mayor Isko Moreno and running mate Willie Ong filed their COCs. Before the filing, the tandem went to Tondo church to say their prayers. They announced their candidacy last September 22, promising to heal a broken nation.
Manila Boy Isko Moreno plays up Visayas roots of parents Joaquin, Chayong
OCT 4, 2021 2:52 PM PHT
- Presidential aspirant Isko Moreno plays up his Visayas roots in his first speech as candidate in an attempt to reach out to Filipinos from the souther regions of the country.
- The story of Isko’s parents, his father Joaquin who worked as a stevedore in Tondo and his Nanay Chayong as a laundrywoman and garlic peeler aims to resonate to the common people.
No plot twists? Sara Duterte says ‘no intention’ of being PDP-Laban standard-bearer
OCT 4, 2021 3:18 PM PHT
- Davao City Mayor reelectionist Inday sara Duterte thumbed down talk that she will be running for president under the banner of the PDP-Laban.
- However observers have cast doubt over the finality of the presidential daughter’s decision. Speculation that Sara could change her candidacy is fueled by no less than her father and the ruling party.
- In a media briefing, PDP-Laban secretary-general Melvin Matibag said that the ruling party will have a standard-bearer by October 8, last day of filing.
Murad, BTA Cabinet back Sara Duterte for president
OCT 4, 2021 5:43 PM PHT
- Bangsamoro Interim Chief Minister Murad Ebrahim has declared his and his Cabinet’s support should Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte decide to run for president. Murad said that he will be supporting any candidate endorsed by President Duterte who whill “continue the legacy of peace and commitment to progress in Mindanao, especially in the BARMM.
On National Indigenous People’s month, party-list aspirant says IPs need help to be smarter
OCT 4, 2021 6:26 PM PHT
- Lawyer Gil Valera of Ang Koalisyon ng Indigenous People (AKO IP) filed their candidacy to participate in the party-list elections. Part of their platform include the establishment of a university dedicated to members of IP communities to combat illiteracy.
- Katribu Kalipunan ng Katutubong Mamamayan ng Pilipinas (KATIRUB) however said that AKO IP is misrepresenting the indigenous peoples. They said that IP educated must be based on the right o land where knowledge and culture emanate and it should also be done in the spirit and principle of self-determination, an inherent right of every indigenous group.
Celebrity chef Boy Logro wants to represent kusineros in Congress
OCT 4, 2021 7:25 PM PHT
- Celebrity chef Boy Logro is running for party-list representative of Aangat Kusinerong Pinoy and plans to give free education to kyusineros.
Piñol resigns from MinDA to run for senator
OCT 4, 2021 9:38 PM PHT
- Mindanao Development Authority Chairman Emmanuel Pinol filed his COC as senatorial candidate under the banner of Nationalist People’s Coalition.
- Pinol also served as agriculture secretary fro June 2016 to August 2019 before he was named MinDA chairman.
5 October 2021
Longtime Duterte defender Robin Padilla joins PDP-Laban
OCT 5, 2021 7:26 PM PHT
- Actor Robin Padilla, a known supporter of President Duterte has joined the PDP-Laban Cusi wing and expressed his intent to run for senator under the party. Meanwhile, his brother Rommel will be seeking the district congressional post for the 1st district of Nueva Ecija.
- It can be recalled that in November 2016, Padilla was granted executive clemency for his case of illegal possession of firearms in 1994.
Dictator’s son Bongbong Marcos to run for president in 2022
OCT 5, 2021 3:10 PM PHT
- Former senator Bongbong Marcos filed his COC for the presidency witht eh promise of ‘unifying leadership’ back to the country, especially to defeat the challenge of the COVID-19 pandemic. He is also yet to announce his vice-president running mate and senatorial slate.
- Bongbong Marcos started his political career at 24, when he became vice governor of Ilocos Norte. He then won governor and representative of Ilocos Norte before he won a seat in the senate in 2010. He lost his vice-presidential bid to Leni Robredo after the High tribunal junked his election protest.
Waiting game for Robredo over? Trillanes teases bid for national post in 2022
OCT 5, 2021 2:25 PM PHT
- Former senator Antonio Trillanes IV said that he will be running for a national position, but refused to say which position exactly. This is consistent with his previous announcement that he will only be running for president if VP Leni resuses to and that he is open to be the running mate of the incumbent VP, should she finally decide to gun for the highest position.
- He accompanied MAGDALO party-list in the 2022 elections.
Jejomar Binay seeks political comeback as senator in 2022
OCT 5, 2021 12:12 PM PHT
- Former Vice-President Jejomar Binay is hoping to state a political comeback as senator in the 2022 elections. He is running under the United Nationalist Alliance which he founded in 2016 to support his presidential bid, but unfortunately lost. Binay was invited to run under the Lacson-Sotto slate but said that UNA plans to adopt senatorial candidates of their own.
Mayor Joy Belmonte aims for reelection in Quezon City
OCT 5, 2021 11:44 AM PHT
DWIGHT DE LEON
- Quezon City Mayor Joy belmonted has filed her COC, seeking reelection as the city’s mayor for a second term.Vice-mayor Gian Sotto will be running as re-electionist with her under the Serbisyo sa Bayan Party.
- Mayor Belmonte will be running against Anakalusugan Representative Mike Defensor who announced his mayoral bid on October 4.
Amid speculations on his run, Bongbong Marcos joins pro-Duterte party PFP
OCT 5, 2021 11:32 AM PHT
- Former senator Bongbong Marcos took his oath as member and chairman of the Partido Federal ng Pilipinas at the party’s third founding anniversary. PFP was founded by Agrarian Reform Secretary John Castriciones, three years ago. It has been seeking an alliance with Hugpong ng Pagbabago, the party of Sara Duterte.
6 October 2021
Labor leaders Elmer Labog, Luke Espiritu gun for Senate seats
OCT 6, 2021 10:06 PM PHT
- Leaders of major labor groups filed for their candidacy for senator to push for workers’ rights. Kilusang Mayo Uno chairperson Elmer “Bong” Labog is running in the Seante Race under the banner of Makabayang Koalisyon ng Mamamayan (Makabayan) bloc. In his brief speech before the media, he said that he would advocate for the interst of farmers and workers, a higher and liveable wage and housing. He was endorsed by Anakpawis to run for Senate along with Atty Neri Colmenares.
- Labor lawyer Luke Espiritue of Bukluran ng Manggagawang Pilipino filed his candidacy under the Partido Lakas ng Masa. According to BMP, Espiritue will continue to be part of the Labor Win coalition with other labor senatorial bets.
‘Kalipikado ako, Filipino ako’: The story of the guard running for the Senate
OCT 6, 2021 9:05 PM PHT
- Phil delos Reyes, the security guard who filed his COC for the presidency said that he will push for a Philippines where everyone has government insurance under GSIS, has PAGI-IBIG, enjoys electricity and internet discounts. A country where people don’t need to go to government offices to secure NBI, PNP clearances, barangay clearance, cedula, etc.
- He is pushing for housing for unemployed Filipinos and free education to all street children.
WATCH: Emergency alert about Marcos ‘unreservedly wrong,’ says Comelec
OCT 6, 2021 7:40 PM PHT
- The COMELEC condemns Bonbong Marcos’ use of emergency alerts for political propaganda after an alert containing an advertisement rang at their COC filing venue.
- COMELEC through spokesperson James Jimenez said that the “emergency alert system for political propangada is a reprehensible tactic.”
- Using emergency alerts for campaigning is not against electoral laws. However only licensed cellular mobile telephone system operations and other government agenices vital to national security are allowed to buy or use portable cell sites.
Former Arroyo defense chief Norberto Gonzales guns for presidency
OCT 6, 2021 4:55 PM PHT
- Norberto Gonzales, defense secretary under former Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo is running for president under the Partido Demokratiko Sosyalista ng Pilipinas Party. He said that experts should be leading the country’s pandemic response.
Labor leader Leody de Guzman files candidacy for president
OCT 6, 2021 3:47 PM PHT
- Labor leader Leody De Guzman filed his COC for Philippine president under the banner of Partido Lakas ng Masa. He ran previously for Senate but ranked 38th. De Guzman said that he is not only seeking for a regime change but a system change. The workers’ agenda for increase in wages, abolition of contractualization comprise the core of his electoral agenda.
- The PLM also fielded Luke Espiritu for the Senate race. They will also be participating in the party-list race through Kapisanan ng mga Manggagawa sa Government Owned and Controlled Corporations and Financials Institutions (KAMAGGFI).
- Before the the decision for De Guzman for president was firmed-up the group sought an audience with VP Robredo through Walden Bello. But the Liberal Party camp failed to accommodate their request. Now that they have filed their COCs, they were appalled by Leni’s people’s reaction that the camp of De Guzman are ‘dividing the opposition’ by not supporting VP Leni’s undeclared candidacy.
Disaster alert on COC filing day? No, it’s a Bongbong Marcos ad
OCT 6, 2021 3:45 PM PHT
DWIGHT DE LEON
- NDRRMC already denied having a hand in the Bongbong Marcos’ emergency alert adand said that their emergency alerts goes through service providers. They surmised that the text blast was made possible through portable sites.
- Bayan Muna for their part urged a Congressional probe on what appeared to be a “hijack of the emergency alerts frequency.”
Lacson hopes for 2022 win with grassroots support, party alliances
OCT 6, 2021 1:32 PM PHT
- Senator Panfilo Lacson in banking on his growing grassroots support as well as party alliances to boost his presidential bid. He was referreing to the organization of the Reporma party spearheaded by former House speaker Pantaleon Alvarez. Reporma is set to sign an alliance with the Nationalist People’s Coalition headed by Seante President Tito Sotto III.
- Both parties will enter an alliance with the Natioanl Unity Party whose kingmaker is Ronaldo Puno. Lacson said they will enjoy the support of former vice president Jejomar Binay who heads the United Natioalist Alliance.
Government’s poor pandemic response spurs doctor Minguita Padilla to run for Senate
OCT 6, 2021 12:45 PM PHT
- Minguita Padilla is seeking a Senate seat in the upcoming elections. Her decision was stirred by the government’s poor pandemic response, medical misinformation, corruption in Philhealth. She will be running under the Partido Reporma of Senators Lacson and Sotto III.
Bongbong Marcos wanted Rodrigo Duterte to be his vice president
OCT 6, 2021 12:09 PM PHT
- Presidential candidate and former Senator Bong Bong Marcos wanted President Duterte as his vice president but because of the latter’s announcement that he will retire from politics, that plan fell through. He also said that his previous talks with Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte ‘never reached specifics.’
- Former Senator Bongbong Marcos is running under the Partido Federal ng Pilipinas, a 3-year old pro-Duterte party, after switching from the Nacionalist Party of the Villars.
Ex-MMDA spokesperson Celine Pialago seeks party list seat
OCT 6, 2021 11:41 AM PHT
- Former MMDA spokesperson Celine Pialago is seeking a congressional seat by representing the barangay councilors, tanods and health workers.
- Pialogo is also appointed as one of the spokesperson of the NTF-ELCAC. She has been previously linked with several controversies including calling the plight of activist Reina Mae Nasino a “drama serye.” She also called ABS-CBN reporter Doris Bigornia “evil” after the Bigornia called out Pialago for giving incomplete information.
‘Tito Vice’? Sotto officially seeks vice presidency in 2022
OCT 6, 2021 11:21 AM PHT
- Senate president Vicente “Tito” Sotto III is running for the vice-presidency as runningmate of Senator Panfilo Lacson. The tandem who has been tagged as Duterte ‘enablers’ can now be seen as one of the critics of the administration, saying htat they have had enough of the Duterte administration.
One more chance: Panfilo Lacson runs for president again
OCT 6, 2021 11:17 AM PHT
- Senator Panfilo Lacson will be running on the same platform that won Duterte the presidency– campaign against illegal drugs, criminality and corruption. Branded as “Heneral ng Bayan” Senator Lacson said that they would do things differently from Duterte.
- Lacson came from the ranks fof PNP, as a former chief of president Joseph Estrada. He was the rehabilitation czar after Super Typhoon Yolanda devastated Eastern Visayas. And one of the authors of the Anti-Terror Law.
Dictator’s son Bongbong Marcos files candidacy for president
OCT 6, 2021 11:14 AM PHT
- The son of former dictator Ferndinand Marcos, Bonbong Marcos Jr has filed his COC for Philippine president. He is running under the flag of the Partido Federal ng Pilipinas, founded by the allies of President Duterte 3 years ago.
- Bongbong Marcos was a congressman and a senator just like the former dictator.
In historic bid, Manila’s Honey Lacuna files COC for mayor
OCT 6, 2021 10:27 AM PHT
DWIGHT DE LEON
- Manila vice-mayor Honey Lacuna filed her COC for mayoral race of the country’s capital city of Manila. She was previously a physician in the city’s health office from 1995 to 2004 before serving as councilor from 2004 to 2013.
7 October 2021
WATCH: ‘Matagal nang hati ang oposisyon’ – Leody de Guzman
OCT 7, 2021 8:27 AM PHT
- De Guzman slammed VP Leni’s camp for denying them an audience while the presidential aspirant has granted the same to Isko, Pacquiao and Lacson.
Desperate father uses COC filing stage to seek help for ill child
OCT 7, 2021 8:30 AM PHT
DWIGHT DE LEON
- A street food vendor took the stage of COMELEC to seek help for his infant child battling a genetic disorder. Nelso Ancajas filed his COC for senator laid out his plans and ultimately appealed to the public for help for his daughter.
Mike Defensor to challenge Joy Belmonte for Quezon City mayor
DWIGHT DE LEON
OCT 7, 2021 8:58 AM PHT
- Anakalusugan representative Mike Defensor is a two-term 3rd District representative of Quezon city has filed his coc to run for mayor of the city against reelectionist Joy Belmonte. He recently gained traction by being most vocal against the shutdown of ABS-CBN. He is running under the local party Malayang Quezon City with Winnie Castelo, a three-term congressman of District 2 who will run for vice-mayor.
Noli de Castro bids goodbye to ABS-CBN, joins Isko’s Aksyon
OCT 7, 2021 9:33 AM PHT
- Veteran journalist and anchor Noli de Vastro announced in his radio proram that he will be leaving the network but has not publicly announced his intent for the upcoming 2022 elections. However, he recently said that he will be taking his oath as a member of the Aksyon Demokratiko Party. The news network however said that de Castro is eyeing to join the Senatorial race under the slate of Isko Moreno and Willie Ong.
Carl Balita files candidacy for senator under Isko Moreno’s party
OCT 7, 2021 9:52 AM PHT
- Carl Balita known as the education entrepreneur behind the review centers based in Manila, joins the senatorial race and plans to make laws to address the learning, economic and health cirses brought by the pandemic.
Pasig vice mayor challenges reelectionist mayor Vico Sotto
OCT 7, 2021 10:09 AM PHT
- Pasig City Vice Mayor Iyo Caruncho-Bernardo will be challenging reelectionist Mayor Vico Sotto in the upcoming elections. He said that he will be running for mayor to help improve the quality of life of Pasig residendents amid the COVID 19 pandemic.
Old man Abalos seeks Mandaluyong comeback
OCT 7, 2021 10:35 AM PHT
- Benjamin Abalos Sr., filed his COC for mayor of Mandaluyong City while his daughter-in-law Menchie is seeking the vice mayoralty post.
- Abalos Sr is the father of MMDA chief Benhur Abalos.
Bongbong Marcos will continue Duterte’s drug war, shield it from ICC
OCT 7, 2021 10:58 AM PHT
- Presidential aspirant Bongbong Marcos said that he will continue Duterte’s war on drubs “but in a different way” and protect Duterte from ICC prosecution.
- He reiterated that he cannot apologize for the atrocities committed by his father’s dictatorship. He was only 15 when Martial Law was imposed and 24 when it was lifted. Since then he became a governor of Ilocos Norte.
Human rights lawyers Diokno, Colmenares file Senate COCs to redeem 2019 losses
OCT 7, 2021 11:05 AM PHT
- Diokno who ran under the Liberal Party will run under the Katipunan ng Nagkakaisang Pilipino (KANP) which is a newly-established party. Diokno is recognized as the guest candidate of the Liberal Party.
- Colmenares, chairman of Makabayan and Bayan Muna is the coalition’s bet for the Senate.
- Both senatorial aspirates are counsels of various petition against the anti-terror law.
‘Lalaban tayo’: Leni Robredo, opposition leader, to run for president
OCT 7, 2021 11:08 AM PHT
- VP Leni Robredo finally declared her presidential bid firm in her resolve to fight against the current administration. This came after the endorsement of 1Sambayanan and much discernment.
Leni Robredo files candidacy for president
OCT 7, 2021 3:31 PM PHT
- Vice President filed her COC for president as an independent candidate despite being the chairperson of the Liberal Party.
- VP Robredo said she wants to put an end to the incompetence, corruption and culture of violence that persists under the Duterte regime.
- She has yet to announce her running mate, but sources reveal that Senator Kiko Pangilinan will be her runningmate. Former Senator Bam Aquino also announced that she would not run for senate but instead will focus as Robredo’s campaign manager.
Bam Aquino is Robredo’s campaign manager, to drop Senate bid
OCT 7, 2021 3:26 PM PHT
- Former senator Bam Aquino who was nominated by the Liberal Party as a member of its senatorial slate announced that he wll be foregoing his Senate comeback to focus on VP Leni Robredo’s presidential campaign.
- It was also Bam who handled Robredo’s VP presidential bid which she won against 5 male contenders including former Senator Bongbong Marcos.
Vilma Santos not seeking elective post in 2022
OCT 7, 2021 2:13 PM PHT
- Lipa City Representative Vilma Santos said that she won’t be running for senator in the upcoming elections. She said that a senatorial run demands a nationwide campaign, something that she admits that she can’t do in the middle of a pandemic. She refuses to do a virtual campaign and would still prefer to meet people face-to-face, something that is quite impossible in the current situation.
- She is expected to be succeeded by her husband, current Senator Ralph Recto.
Kiko Pangilinan is Robredo’s running mate
OCT 7, 2021 2:12 PM PHT
- According to Rappler’s news sources, incumbent Seantor Francis “Kiko” Pangilinan will be VP Leni Robredo’s running mate.
- It would be an uphill battle for the Robredo-Pangilinnan tandem who would have to stage a campaign at a time when Filipinos are turning hteir backs on the LP’s brand of “disente” politics. Also, many LP members jumped ship to the political party of the new presidents, as expected in Philippine politics.
Jejomar Binay files candidacy for senator
OCT 7, 2021 1:15 PM PHT
- Former vice President Jejomar Binay said that the people have been ‘deeply neglected’ in the pandemic and he aims to reverse this situation once seated as senator.
- He also slammed the Duterte administration’s handling of the pandemic for “creeping erosion of civil liberties”
Former defense chief Gibo Teodoro files candidacy for senator
OCT 7, 2021 7:02 PM PHT
- Former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo’s defense chief filed his certificate for candidacy for senator on October 7. He is running under the banner of People’s Reform Party of the late senator Miriam Defensor Santiago.
- Teodoro earlier flew to Davao to talk with Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte as her vice president.
Erice vs Malapitan: Caloocan’s 2 congressmen eye mayoral post
OCT 7, 2021 6:02 PM PHT
DWIGHT DE LEON
- Congressman Edgar Erice and Dale “Along” Malapitan who represent the city’s 1st and 2nd district respectively are going against each other for the mayoral post of Metro Manila’s second most populous city.
- Along Malapitan will run under the local party Aksyon at Malasakit with Karina the as vice mayoral candidate
- Erice meanwhile will run under Aksyon Demokratiko.
8 October 2021
Kiko Pangilinan files COC for vice president
OCT 8, 2021 9:07 AM PHT
- Senator Francis “Kiko” Pangilinan officialized his vice-presidential bid of the Liberal Party by filing his COC as VP Leni Robredo’s running mate in the upcoming 2022 elections.
- This is going to be a political risk for Pangilinan, who was nominated by LP to run for senator and has been performing well in Pulse Asia senatorial survey.
From jail, Leila de Lima files candidacy for senator
OCT 8, 2021 10:01 AM PHT
- Reelectionist senator Leila de Lima will be campaigning from jail as she seeks another shot at the Senate. She has been incarcerated for five years on the basis of ‘trumped up drug charges’ lodged against her by the Duterte administration.
Trillanes on Robredo’s slate in Senate comeback bid
OCT 8, 2021 10:38 AM PHT
- Senator Trillanes filed his COC for senate under the Liberal Party. The Magdalo party of Trillanes composed of retired members of the AFP is also supporting his bid as well as VP Robredo’s candidacy.
‘Kabayan’ Noli de Castro files COC for senator
OCT 8, 2021 10:52 AM PHT
- Veteran news anchor Noli de Castro is aiming a senate seat after an 11-year hiatus from politics. He was recently sworn into membership in Aksyon Demokratiko and is one of the senatorial bets under the Moreno-Ong slate.
Former Duterte spokesman Abella runs as independent presidential candidate
OCT 8, 2021 1:10 PM PHT
- Ernesto Abella, former spokesperson of President Duterte is running as independent candidate for the presidency. After he was removed by President Duterte, Abella became spokesperson for the foreign affairs department.
Karla Estrada nominated by party-list group that rejected ABS-CBN franchise
OCT 8, 2021 1:56 PM PHT
- Tingog Sinirangan represented by Yedda Romualdez was one of the 70 lawmakers who denied the renewal of the ABS-CBN franchise. Actress Karla Estrada, third nominee of the party-list filed her COC and received backlash for representing a party that backed Duterte’s attack on the press.
- Related news: https://www.rappler.com/nation/elections/kathniel-fans-help-withdrawkarlaestrada-trend-twitter
Pangilinan on becoming Robredo’s running mate: ‘Call of duty’
OCT 8, 2021 2:00 PM PHT
- Senator Kiko Pangilinan said that he was not gunning for the second highest position in the land but everything change when Robredo decided to run and was thereafter asked to run as her running mate after unity talks with other presidential candidates bogged down. Sen Pangilinan said that he was one among those who urged VP Leni to run, and he knew that he had a responsibility to fulfill when he was asked by VP Leni to step up.
PDP-Laban bet Robin Padilla files candidacy for senator
OCT 8, 2021 3:37 PM PHT
- Robin Padilla, one of the staunch defenders of the current administration has filed his COC for senator as party of the PDP-Laban Cusi slate. He recently has been sworn as a member of the party alongside his brother Rommel who will be running to represent the 1st District of Nueva Ecija.
A repeat of 2016 elections? Bato dela Rosa seeks presidency under PDP-Laban faction
OCT 8, 2021 4:24 PM PHT
- Senator Bato dela Rosa filed his COC for president of the PDP-Laban Cusi faction but critics were unconvinced of his sincerity and believes that he is just a placeholder.
- Dela Rosa was chief of the PNP who oversaw Duterte’s bloody campaign against illegal drugs.
‘Bakla ang kailangan’: Openly gay producer runs for Senate
OCT 8, 2021 4:53 PM PHT
- Joed Serrano, an openly gay film and concert producer said that he is running for the senate after his disappointment that other candidates did not include LGBTQI+ rights in their platforms. He asaid that he wants to push for same sex civil unions and push for the passage of the anti-discrimination law.
Robredo recalibrates, to focus on unifying Filipinos instead of presidential bets
OCT 8, 2021 5:27 PM PHT
- VP Leni Robredo said that she will no longer focus on forging unity with other presidential candidates, instead will focus on unifying the greater Filipino population.
Former Binibining Pilipinas Shamcey Supsup nominated by ARTE party-list group
OCT 8, 2021 6:36 PM PHT
- Architect and former beauty queen Shamcey Supsup is seeking a seat in congress under ARTE or Advocates for Retail and Fashion, Textile and Tradition, Events and Entertainment and the Creative Sector party-list. She said that the party-list advocates for jobs creation and protection and promotion and preservation of culture and tradition.
Comelec says ‘no special treatment’ to PDP-Laban Cusi wing during COC filing
OCT 8, 2021 8:08 PM PHT
DWIGHT DE LEON
- COMELEC pushed back on criticisms that it gave preferential treatment to PDP-Laban Cusi faction when President Duterte and Senator Bong Go endorsed seven candidates of the party wing.
- Duterte raised the hand of candidates John Castriciones, Mark Villar, Greco Belgica, Salvador Panelo, Robin Padilla, Rey Langit and Rodante Marcolate.
On last day of filing, Duterte endorses Senate bets at Comelec’s COC venue
OCT 8, 2021 10:35 PM PHT
- There was no pre-planned event for President Duterte to publicly endorse his chosen senatarial bets for 2022. But then he arrived and raised the hands of the PDP-Laban Cusi wing senatoriables and thereafter left after taking photos.
- Despite this, COMELEC said there was no special treatment to Duterte and his endorsed candidates.
9 October 2021
Quick Visayas swing for Isko Moreno
OCT 9, 2021 10:27 PM PHT
- A few days after filing his certificate of candidacy, Manila Mayor Isko Moreno flew to visit the cities of Bacolod, Cebu and Angeles City. As confirmed by his campaign head, Moreno met with two locals in Cebu and Angeles City. He met with Bomer Zayco, cousin of Kabankalan Councilor Miguel Zayco, district chair of Aksyon. The Zaycos are a landowner clan in southern Negros.
10 October 2021
COC filers for president in 2022 polls down from record-high number in 2016
OCT 10, 2021 12:37 PM PHT
DWIGHT DE LEON
- In the next few weeks the poll body will screen aspirants to determine the nuisance candidates and remove them from the list.
- As per the Omnibus Election Code, nuisance candidates are those trying to “Put the election process in mockery or disrepute or to cause confusion among the voters by the similarity of the names of the registered candidates or by other circumstances or acts which clearly demonstrate that the candidate has no bona fide intention to run for office”
- For the presidency: 92 COC filers (2016: 130 COC filers)
- For the vice-presidency: 29 COC filers (2016: 19 COC filers)
- Senatorial aspirants: 176
- Party-list: 270
- House District Representative: 733
- Governor: 281
- Vice-Governor: 266
- Board member: 1, 951
- Mayor: 4, 486
- Vice-Mayor: 3, 968
- Councilor: 35, 636
2022 family affairs: Relatives seek to succeed outgoing mayors in 6 NCR cities
OCT 10, 2021 4:18 PM PHT
DWIGHT DE LEON
- The battle for the city hall remains a family affair in many local government units in the National Capital Region, as mayors who are either term-limited or forgoing reelection seek to transfer power to their relatives.
- Caloocan: Mayor “Oca” Malapitan is running for 1st District Representative; his son Dale “Along” Malapitan will replace him as mayor
- Paranaque City: Mayor Edwin Olivarez is running for a seat in the 1st District and aims to swap positions with his younger brother Representative Eric Olivarez
- Valenzuela: Rex Gatchalian will run for 1st District representative while his brother will replace him as mayor
- Malabon City: Mayor Len Len Oreta hopes that she will be succeeded by his brother Jore Lorenzo Oreta
- Taguig City: Mayor Lino Cayetano will yield to his sister-in-law Lani Cayetano to replace him as local chief despite being in position for only 1 term
- Mandaluyong City: Mayor Menchie Abalos will run for vice mayor while her father-in-law Benjamin Abalos Sr aims to reclaim mayorship of the city
11 October 2021
Dela Rosa learned he is a presidential bet only 2 hours before deadline
OCT 11, 2021 12:25 PM PHT
- Explaining the “last minute” filing, Matibag explained that they had gone through the party’s processes – referring to nomination and deliberation – which is why their final standard-bearer was only announced on the last day of filing.
Robredo-Pangilinan want a ‘people’s campaign’ in 2022
OCT 11, 2021 5:25 PM PHT
- Pangilinan said he and Robredo were overwhelmed by the deluge of support they received after they announced their respective last minute electoral bids in 2022.
- In his first campaign bulletin, Aquino appealed to supporters to lessen the toxicity online and to instead be more “pink-lusive” – a play on the word inclusive and the pink color that Robredo has since adopted for her 2022 campaign.
Waiting for Sara, Lakas-CMD fields placeholder for president
OCT 11, 2021 7:24 PM PHT
- Lakas-CMD, a national political party still hoping for Sara Duterte to run for president, has admitted to simply fielding a placeholder as its presidential candidate.
12 October 2021
VP bet Pangilinan vows to fight hunger as part of pandemic plan
OCT 12, 2021 11:28 AM PHT
- Opposition senator Kiko Pangilinan who is running for vice president said that food security, controlling the pandemic, and addressing corruption are part of his 2022 platform as candidate.
- He said that he would continue to champion better support and interventions for farmers and fisherfolk to address joblessness and poverty worsened by the coronavirus crisis.
- He emphasized the need to stamp out corruption
TIMELINE: At what point did Duterte’s allies turn into critics?
OCT 13, 2021 9:00 AM PHT
- In article Rappler attempts to show the pivotal points where presidential bets (excluding Robredo) have become critics of Duterte
Erice fears Marcos, Duterte pals may return if Isko and Robredo don’t stand united
By: Gabriel Pabico Lalu – Reporter / @GabrielLaluINQ
INQUIRER.net / 09:21 PM October 12, 2021
- Citing their study, Erice said that Robredo might be the reason why the Marcos-duterte alliance could revealing data that 90% of people are willing to vote for Moreno if Robredo backs out of the race; meanwhile, if Moreno backs out, his votes will not go to Robredo, but to Marcos.
- Erice also revealed why he left the LP. He said that attributed LP’s woes to the leadership problem of Robredo who is currently the party chair. He said further that the problem with LP are the ‘purists’ who believe that they have monopoly of love of country and who have the say on who is going to be president, what method should be adopted, etc.
Robredo got Isko’s Marcos stance wrong – Aksyon chairman
OCT 13, 2021 1:32 PM PHT
- A top official in Isko Moreno’s national party said Vice President Leni Robredo misunderstood the Manila mayor’s stance on the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos and that this was one reason for Moreno’s outburst on October 8.
- In Moreno’s first interview after deciding on his presidential bid, he said he admired the “visionary” aspect of Ferdinand Marcos’ leadership but rejects the abuses that took place. The Manila mayor said Filipinos “should not allow Martial Law to happen again.”
What’s PROMDI, the Cebu-based party that’s endorsing Pacquiao for president?
OCT 13, 2021 2:35 PM PHT
- The core of the party is “devolution” or passing down state powers to local governments. PROMDI (also Abag-Promdi) stands for Progressive Movement for the Devolution of Initiatives or Probinsya Muna Development Initiative.
- The national party was formed in 1997 by former Cebu governor Lito Osmeña when he ran for president in 1998. Before he died in July, one of Osmeña’s last public wishes was to revive his party, which had been dormant since the mid-2000s.
Robredo in talks with Colmenares, Matula, Alex Lacson for 2022 Senate slate
OCT 13, 2021 6:57 PM PHT
- Baguilat welcomed the possibility of having Colmenares, Matula, and Lacson in Robredo’s Senate slate in 2022, as their inclusion would mean an expanded opposition coalition outside the usual LP-Magdalo-Akbayan alliance.
- Matula, Colmenares, and Lacson would be strategic additions to the Robredo-Pangilinan senatorial slate, as they could help bring in more voters from the labor sector, the progressives, and the conservatives, respectively.
- But it would certainly be a challenge for Robredo to have all of them sit on the same negotiating table, given their differences in ideologies.
NTF-ELCAC personalities in 2022 party-list race worry poll watchdog
OCT 13, 2021 11:17 PM PHT
DWIGHT DE LEON
- ‘We’re seeing here the possibility of intensified red-tagging against certain party-list groups, particularly the Makabayan bloc,’ one poll watchdog warns
- Those aspiring to join the party-list polls are NTF-ELCAC spokesperson Celine Pialago of Malasakit Movement, NTF-ELCAC ambassador Michelle Gumabao of Mothers for Change, and NTF-ELCAC informant Eric Celiz of Abante Sambayanan.
14 October 2021
Why Lacson almost walked out of meeting with Robredo
OCT 14, 2021 1:08 PM PHT
- Senator and presidential aspirant Panfilo Lacson said that the meeting between him and VP Leni Robredo was a “scheme” and “too insulting to say the least.”
- In the said meeting Sen Franklin Drilon, LP stalwart, suggested that Leni and Sotto run as a tandem instead. But Drilon denied the gesture. This compelled Lacson and Sotto to run together and fight to the very end, ditching all attempts at a united opposition initiated by VP Leni.
Isko Moreno: I am not a Duterte candidate
OCT 14, 2021 1:12 PM PHT
- He said allegations that Moreno is a mere puppet of Duterte have not been substantiated and mostly cite Lito Banayo’s role as the Manila mayor’s campaign manager.
- “I am Aksyon candidate under the Aksyon party. I am not a candidate of them (Dutertes) because I disagree with them. Remember that? I agree only with Duterte kapag kapakanibangan ng tao (only on things that benefit the people),” said Moreno.
‘Mockery’ in substitution? It’s legal, says Cusi-led PDP-Laban
OCT 14, 2021 3:33 PM PHT
- The Cusi-led wing of the ruling PDP-Laban defended the option to substitute candidates, saying it’s a “political strategy” allowed by the law.
- The Omnibus Election Code of 1985 allows parties to substitute a candidate if its original bet “dies, withdraws, or is disqualified for any cause.”
Robredo says OVP stint preview of ‘firm yet compassionate’ leadership that gets job done
OCT 14, 2021 5:13 PM PHT
- Vice President Leni Robredo said that all the work she managed to accomplish in the last five years – with a measly budget, no national government support, and without the “aggression and bluster” typically associated with strong leaders – offered a preview of the kind of leadership that Filipinos can expect from her, if she is elected president.
Former QC official to take Noli de Castro slot in Isko’s Senate slate
OCT 14, 2021 5:35 PM PHT
- Joseph Peter “Jopet” Sison, whose father is lawyer and television personality Jose Sison, is running for senator under Aksyon Demokratiko, taking the slot of veteran news anchor Noli de Castro.
- The 56-year-old Sison has experience in local politics, having served as a Quezon City councilor. In 2019, he ran for Quezon City vice mayor under the ruling party PDP-Laban but lost to Gian Sotto by a slim margin. In the late 1990s, Sison was a member of the Liberal Party, now associated with the opposition.
Isko Moreno thumbs down substitution: ‘Tsinutsubibo tayo’
OCT 14, 2021 5:42 PM PHT
- Presidential aspirant and Manila Mayor Isko Moreno thumbed down the practice of substituting electoral candidates as a political strategy, saying it allows politicians to toy with voters and that the people “don’t deserve it.”
- In contrast, the faction of the ruling party PDP-Laban supported by President Rodrigo Duterte, sees substitution as a legitimate political strategy.
15 October 2021
Seeking to reclaim control of San Juan, Estradas’ party fields 2022 bets
OCT 15, 2021 7:19 AM PHT
DWIGHT DE LEON
- The Estrada family, which had ruled San Juan for half a century until 2019, has launched an underdog effort through its political party to retake city hall from incumbent Mayor Francis Zamora.
- The Estrada family’s party, Pwersa ng Masang Pilipino (PMP), has a complete lineup for city hall positions in the 2022 elections, although Jana Ejercito, the only one with direct ties to the political clan, is seeking a congressional seat.
Binay, reelectionists join Pacquiao’s Senate slate
OCT 15, 2021 9:56 AM PHT
Pacquiao bared his Senate slate in an interview with ANC’s Headstart on Friday, October 15. Here are the other candidates aside from Binay:
- Senate Majority Leader Juan Miguel Zubiri, independent
- Senator Joel Villanueva, independent
- Senator Richard Gordon, Bagumbayan-VNP Movement
- Sorsogon Governor Chiz Escudero, Nationalist People’s Coalition
- House Deputy Speaker Loren Legarda, Nationalist People’s Coalition
- Former Senate secretary and ex-Eastern Samar governor Lutgardo Barbo, under the divided PDP-Laban
- Raffy Tulfo, independent
- Neri Colmenares, Makabayang Koalisyon ng Mamamayan
- Elmer Labog, Makabayang Koalisyon ng Mamamayan
Robredo bares Senate slate, turns foes into allies vs Duterte
OCT 15, 2021 11:13 AM PHT
- On Friday, October 15, Robredo announced 11 names for her senatorial ticket in the 2022 polls. It includes a former vice president, five incumbent senators, two returning senators, and one former congressman representing seven parties from across the political spectrum.
- They are the following:
- Teddy Baguilat Jr. (Liberal Party)
- Jojo Binay (United Nationalist Alliance)
- Leila de Lima (Liberal Party)
- Chel Diokno (Katipunan ng Nagkakaisang Pilipino)
- Chiz Escudero (Nationalist People’s Coalition)
- Dick Gordon (Bagumbayan VNP Movement)
- Risa Hontiveros (Akbayan Party)
- Alex Lacson (Kapatiran Party)
- Antonio Trillanes IV (Magdalo)
- Joel Villanueva (Independent)
- Migz Zubiri (Independent)
- The 12th slot in Robredo’s senatorial ticket is still being negotiated, sources told Rappler. Possible options are either labor leader Sonny Matula or former Bayan Muna representative Neri Colmenares, whom the Robredo camp has been in talks with these past days.
‘As of today,’ it’s Dela Rosa-Go for Cusi’s PDP-Laban
OCT 15, 2021 1:25 PM PHT
- The PDP-Laban faction led by Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi said, that “as of today,” the group is “100%” sure that it’s fielding senators Ronald dela Rosa and Bong Go as their presidential and vice presidential candidates.
- But in the same breath, party secretary-general Melvin Matibag said they’re “open to possibilities” until November 15, or the deadline for parties to substitute their candidates.
Ralph Recto asks vote-rich Batangas to choose Isko Moreno
OCT 15, 2021 2:18 PM PHT
- Presidential bet and Manila Mayor Isko Moreno’s first stop on the campaign trail was Batangas, the seventh most vote-rich province in the country, where he was hosted by one of its most prominent politicians, Senator Ralph Recto.
- Based on 2019 data, there are 1.7 million voters in Batangas.
Robredo shrugs off Moreno’s attacks: ‘Magpapaka-gentleman na lang ako, ha?’
OCT 15, 2021 3:06 PM PHT
- Moreno had been displeased when the Vice President disclosed to reporters on October 8 that one of the reasons that pushed her to seek the presidency was the Manila mayor’s position toward the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos and his family.
- A top official of Moreno’s Akyson Demokratiko party also claimed Robredo supposedly misunderstood the mayor’s stance towards the Marcoses.
Isko Moreno, the new enemy of ‘disente,’ ‘moralista’ politics
OCT 15, 2021 4:10 PM PHT
- Without mentioning any specific politician or family, Moreno derided elites for treating Filipinos as “puppets” to be fooled and toyed with.
- For days, Moreno has alluded to the fight between the Marcoses and opposition, simplifying it as mere political bickering. But many groups in the opposition reject the Marcoses because of the human rights abuses and plunder during the Marcos dictatorship.
- In the same speech, Moreno promised past abuses would never be forgotten and that he would hold accountable anyone who stole from public coffers.
Mix of old and new names in Lacson Senate slate of 14
OCT 15, 2021 4:32 PM PHT
- The tandem of Senator Panfilo Lacson and Senate President Vicente “Tito” Sotto III said on Friday, October 15, that the following 14 people are their slate for the race for 12 of the 2022 Senate elections:
- Former senator Loren Legarda (Nationalist People’s Coalition)
- Former senator JV Ejercito (Nationalist People’s Coalition)
- Former senator and Sorsogon Governor Chiz Escudero (Nationalist People’s Coalition)
- Former Quezon City mayor Herbert Bautista (Nationalist People’s Coalition)
- Senator Sherwin Gatchalian (Nationalist People’s Coalition)
- Senator Joel Villanueva (Independent)
- Senator Migz Zubiri (Independent)
- Former vice president Jejomar Binay (United Nationalist Alliance)
- Former agricultre secretary Manny Piñol (Nationalist People’s Coalition)
- Dr. Minguita Padilla (Partido para sa Demokratikong Reporma)
- Actor and former congressman Monsour Del Rosario (Partido para sa Demokratikong Reporma)
- Paolo Redemptus Capino (Partido para sa Demokratikong Reporma)
- Senator Richard Gordon (Bagumbayan-VNP Movement)
- Former senator Gregorio Honasan (Independent)
Duterte, Leni groups to barnstorm Mindanao regions a week after COC filing
OCT 15, 2021 7:46 PM PHT
- President Rodrigo Duterte and his administration’s top 2 candidates in next year’s elections will be in Marawi, for the 4th anniversary of his declaration of the liberation of the predominantly Muslim city from the Maute group militants in 2017.
- But in the neighboring northern Mindanao region, Vice President Leni Robredo, is also expected to come to help in the COVID-19 vaccination rollout in nearby Cagayan de Oro City.
Pacquiao, ‘adopted son’ of Batangas, comes home to give cash aid
OCT 15, 2021 7:59 PM PHT
- Presidential aspirant and Senator Manny Pacquiao visited the vote-rich province of Batangas and gave goods and cash aid to residents who were affected by the Taal Volcano eruption in 2020.
16 October 2021
Bicol motorcades for Leni draw 4,000 vehicles
OCT 16, 2021 2:45 PM PHT
RHAYDZ B. BARCIA
- In Albay alone, about 4,000 to 5,000 vehicles joined the motorcades. Even before the caravan took off, the estimate of four-wheeled vehicles was at slightly over 1,000, he said, citing other organizers. When the motorcade started to move at 6:30 am, vehicles were still attaching themselves to the end of the caravan.
Ka Leody’s Senate slate: Labor leaders, environmentalists, rights defenders
OCT 16, 2021 3:38 PM PHT
- Labor leader and presidential aspirant Leodegario “Ka Leody” de Guzman named the nine senatorial candidates included in his slate for the 2022 Philippine elections on Saturday, October 16.
- Three were from his party, Partido Lakas ng Masa (PLM), while the other six were guest candidates.
- The three from PLM included:
- Luke Espiritu, labor leader
- Roy Cabonegro, environmentalist
- David D’angelo, environmentalist
- Meanwhile, his guest candidates were the following:
- Chel Diokno, human rights lawyer
- Risa Hontiveros, reelectionist senator and women’s rights advocate
- Neri Colmenares, human rights lawyer and former Bayan Muna representative
- Elmer “Bong” Labog, trade unionist
- Sonny Matula, labor lawyer
- Leila de Lima, reelectionist senator and former human rights commissioner
Robredo eyes localized peace talks, an old proposal rejected by NDF
OCT 16, 2021 4:59 PM PHT
- Vice President and presidential aspirant Leni Robredo renewed calls for localized peace talks with communist rebels throughout the country as a step to forging an agreement with the National Democratic Front (NDF).
17 October 2021
Cagayan de Oro mayor comes out: ‘I’m for Leni’
OCT 17, 2021 1:49 PM PHT
- Cagayan de Oro Mayor Oscar Moreno, came out in the open about his support for the presidential bid of Vice President Leni Robredo.
- Moreno is the first local chief executive in Mindanao known to have aired his support for the opposition leader, a week after she declared her decision to seek the presidency and filed her certificate of candidacy for president.
18 October 2021
Samira Gutoc calls out Isko for ‘yellowtard’ comment but will stay in his slate
OCT 18, 2021 5:01 PM PHT
- Senatorial aspirant Samira Gutoc disagreed with her standard-bearer Isko Moreno’s rant against Vice President Leni Robredo but said she will stay in his senatorial slate out of respect for their party Aksyon Demokratiko.
Senatorial slates for the 2022 Philippine elections – A Rappler cheat sheet
OCT 18, 2021 8:00 PM PHT
- The links of all senatoriables running for different slates are consolidated in the article.
Ka Leody explains alleged misogynistic remarks against female presidents
OCT 18, 2021 8:14 PM PHT
- I don’t want the people to have another bad experience by supporting Cory against Marcos and Gloria against Erap. The people did not gain anything from that; poverty and poor conditions still persisted.
- This did not sit well with netizens who felt that de Guzman was putting down women.
- De Guzman later apologized in a Twitter thread, saying he was commenting on Aquino’s and Arroyo’s leadership based on what he considered were their poor performance in addressing the problems country’s fundamental problems – not because of their gender.
19 October 2021
Bongbong Marcos still without VP, but foes’ infighting gives him ‘respite’
OCT 19, 2021 8:56 AM PHT
- Before the opposition imploded, ‘there was an incessant demand’ for Marcos to apologize over his father’s Martial Law and corruption. The bickering of his opponents brings ‘advantages’ to his campaign.
Mike Rama to run for mayor of Cebu City in 2022
SEP 8, 2021 7:42 PM PHT
- Incumbent Cebu City Vice Mayor Michael Rama expresses his intent to run for mayor in the 2022 election under the party PDP-Barug the local party allied with the administration of President Duterte. The opision party led by the Osmenas Bando Osmena Pundok Kauswagan (BOPK) is the expected contender for the position.
Four-cornered fight for Zamboanga’s mayorship looms
SEP 10, 2021 9:18 PM PHT
- Four contenders are aiming to succeed incumbent Zamboanga City mayor Maria Isabelle Climaco. A congressman, former mayor, a councilor and the city’s vice-mayor are all vying for the position. Three of them are sons of former mayors of the city.
Election fever begins in Lanao del Sur, Maute group possible threat
SEP 13, 2021 11:29 AM PHT
- After being deplete of international support, international conflict monitoring NGO, Conflict Alert projects that Maute will support local politicians as goons-for-hire to build up capital for their operations.
- Likewise, early campaigning in Lanao is evidenced by large tarpaulins exclaiming “Sra Tano” (We are with Sara) and smaller banners urging Manila Mayor Isko are also visible in the city.
- Meanwhile, sources reveal that vote buying in the city has a going rate of P15,000-20,000 and any aspiring governor should be prepared to at least P1 billion in order to have a winning chance at the local polls.
Political opponents behind rape complaint vs Cavite City mayor, says lawyer
INQUIRER.net / 04:15 AM September 21, 2021
- Political opponents are behind a “fabricated” rape complaint filed by a 17-year-old girl against Cavite City Mayor Bernardo Paredes, the legal counsel of the officials, Antonio Luis Paredes said in a statement sent to INQUIRER.net on Monday.
- The complainant was said to being supported by a rich and powerful politician who intends to destroy the reputation of the Mayor timed during the election season. The Mayor’s camp also questioned the complaint filed on July 14, 2021 when the rape was alleged to have happened on December 28, 2017.
Zamboanga vice mayor launches bid, ticket on Sept. 23 to succeed Climaco
SEP 20, 2021 3:20 PM PHT
- Vice Mayor Rommel Agan declared that he would run for mayor next year has left the Climaco-Agan coalition to pursue their own political aspirations for the next elections. Meanwhile incumbent 3-term mayor, Climaco has decided to support the mayoral bid of Representative Cesar Jimenez Jr with whom she plans to trade places in next year’s election.
Rodriguez won’t run for Cagayan de Oro mayor, yields to Pompee La Viña
OCT 1, 2021 8:34 AM PHT
- Deputy Speaker Rufus Rodriguez will seek reelection as representative of Cagayan de Oro’s 2nd District in 2022
- Rodriguez’s Centrist Democratic Party and the Padayon Pilipino of Misamis Oriental Governor Yevgeny Vincente Emano agreed to field Phividec Industrial Authority administrator Jose Gabriel “Pompee” La Viña as their candidate for mayor
Duterte allies to clash head-on in race for Zamboanga Sibugay’s top post
2 DAYS AGO
- Representatives Dulce Ann Hofer and Wilter Palma II of Zamboanga Sibugay’s 2nd and 1st Districts, respectively, will be filing their COCs for governor
- Both Hofer and Palma ran under the Partido Demokratiko Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban) in 2019.
Zamboanga’s Celso Lobregat attempts political comeback
OCT 1, 2021 10:51 AM PHT
- Celso Lobregat is a former congressman and mayor is a son of former mayor Maria Clara Lobregat. He served as congressman of Zamboanga for three terms from 1998-2004 before being elected mayor in 2004.
- He suffered defeat against Climaco during the mayoral race in 2019.
- He is the head of PDP-Laban in Zamboanga and has a coalition ticked called Team Colorado that will go against Climaco’s slate in the elections.
Chavit Singson running vs son for Ilocos Sur vice governor
OCT 1, 2021 1:09 PM PHT
- Ilocos Sur kingpin Luis “Chavit” Singson will run for vice governor against his own son, outgoing governor Ryan Luis Singson. Chavit is incumbent mayor of Narvacan town, a post he won in 2019 when he ended the Zaragoza family’s reign in that town.
- Probinsyano Ako party list Representative Jose Singson Jr, brother of Chavit, will run for mayor of Vigan City.
Neric Acosta runs for Bukidnon congressman
OCT 1, 2021 2:19 PM PHT
- Neric Acosta, former presidential adviser for environmental protection filed his COC for Bukidnon congressman. Acosta also served as presidential adviser and general manager of Laguna Lake Development Authority from 2011 to 2016.
Zamboanga City’s Rommel Agan seeks mayorship
OCT 1, 2021 2:54 PM PHT
- Zamboanga Vice Mayor Rommel Agan is seeking to succeed Maria Isabelle Climaco who is stepping down after serving as mayor for nine consecutive years. Agan will be running under the United Nationalist Alliance. Agan served as city councilor since 2010 until he was elected as vice-mayor in 2019.
Mangudadatu’s beauty queen wife runs for Sultan Kudarat governor
OCT 1, 2021 3:40 PM PHT
- Maguindanao 2nd District Representative Esmael Mangudadatu’s wife is running for governor of Sultan Kudarat. Sharika Akeel-Mangudadatu will be challenging Governor Suhartu Mangudadatu, the cousing of Esmael Mangudadatu.
Negros Occidental Gov. Bong Lacson’s unity coalition sees few challengers
OCT 1, 2021 4:01 PM PHT
- Negros Occidental Governor Eugenio “Bong” Lacson will be running for his third and final term as the city’s top official in the upcoming elections. He is a local leader of Love Negros and member of the Nationalist People’s Coalition (NPC).
- He served as mayor of San Carlos City for three years from 2001 to 2010. He served as Vice-Governor in 2013.
Toto Mangudadatu supports Isko Moreno’s party, 4 family members join
OCT 1, 2021 6:07 PM PHT
- Maguindana Representative Toto Mangudadatu declared support for Aksyon Demokratiko now led by Manila Mayor Isko Moreno. Toto was joined by four members of the their clan who took their oath as members of the party. They are Maguindanao Board Member King Mangudadatu, Maguindana Board Member candidate Yshmael Powa Magundadatu, councilor candidate Bai Mariam Mangudadatu and Sharifa Akeel Mangudadatu who is running for Sultan Kudarat governor.
Actor Jason Abalos runs for Nueva Ecija provincial board post
OCT 1, 2021 8:17 PM PHT
- Actor Jason Abalos filed his COC for 2nd District of Nueva Ecija board member. He is running under the party of PDP-Laban.
Ejay Falcon to run for vice governor of Oriental Mindoro
OCT 1, 2021 9:07 PM PHT
- Actor Ejay Falcon will be running for vice governor of Oriental Mindoro. He is the running mate of incumbent Oriental Mindoro Governor Humerlito Dolor.
Adiongs file COCs in Lanao del Sur
OCT 1, 2021 9:42 PM PHT
- Lanao del Sur Governor Mamintal Adiong Jr, his son, brother, cousin, and other candidates under LAKAS-CMD filed their respective COCs in Marawi. Adiong and vice governor Mohammad Khalid will be seeking reelection.
Gloria Arroyo guns anew for representative of Pampanga 2nd District
OCT 1, 2021 10:48 PM PHT
- Former president and House Speaker Gloria Macapagal Arroyo filed her COC for 2nd District of Pampanga representative ending her 3-year hiatus from politics.
Pacquiao brother runs for Sarangani governor
OCT 1, 2021 11:54 PM PHT
- Deputy Speaker and Sarangani Representative Rogelio Pacquiao will be running for Sarangani governor under the People’s Champ Movement
- Rogelio Paquiao served as Sarangani congressman for two consecutive terms. He is expected to be succeeded by Governor Steve Solon in the province’s lone congressional district.
Tacloban vice mayor joins mayoral race to spark ‘change’
OCT 2, 2021 11:22 AM PHT
- Tacloban City Vice Mayor Jerry Yaokasin filed his COC for mayor. Speaking to the media he decided to run to spark change in the city. If elected into position, Yaokasin said he would focus on health, education, housing and social services.
Senator Zubiri’s father, Joe, submits COC for Bukidnon congressman in absentia
OCT 2, 2021 1:15 PM PHT
- The father of Senator Migz Zubiri, Joe Zubiri will be running for congressman of Bukidnon. He is seeking to trade places with his son Manuel, the representative of the 3rd district who filed his COC for governor. The 81-year old kingpin is serving his third and final term as governor of the province. He leads the Bukidnon Paglaum Party.
Chavit’s son willing to give way in election battle with dad
OCT 2, 2021 5:11 PM PHT
JOHN MICHAEL MUGAS
- Outgoing Governor Ryan Luis Singson sets one condition: that his brother, Ronald, will also pull out of the congressional race in the Ilocos Sur 1st District, where Ryan’s father-in-law is seeking reelection
Sara Duterte seeks 3rd term as Davao mayor
OCT 2, 2021 5:31 PM PHT
- Incumbent Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte files for reelection on the same day that her father said he was retiring from politics and the same time that Bong Go filed his COC for vice-presidency.
- Despite this, there is still ongoing speculation on her last-minute candidacy similar to what President Duterte did when he substituded for Martin Dino eventually filing his candidacy for president.
Convicted and with warrant, a free Joel Reyes will run for Palawan gov
OCT 2, 2021 7:51 PM PHT
- Convicted for graft and with an arrest warrant for murder, the embattled Joel Reyes is free and will attempt to regain his old post of Palawan governor in the 2022 elections
Cotabato City mayor seeks reelection
OCT 2, 2021 8:30 PM PHT
- Cotabato City Mayor Cynthia Guiani-Sayadi, her vice mayor, Graham Dumama, and a complete slate for councilors are all running under One Kutawato party
Salcedas running for local posts in Albay
OCT 2, 2021 10:06 PM PHT
RHAYDZ B. BARCIA
- Reelectionist Representative Joey Salceda filed his candidacy alongside 3 other members of his family. Jesap Salceda, younger brother of Joey is seeking to retain his seat in the provincial board. Adrian is aspring to be mayor of Polangui. Jesciel, the son of Jesap is current councilor and president of Philippine Councilor’s League-Albay chapter.
03 October 2021
Bacolod City’s Bing Leonardia loses 3 councilors to rival Albee Benitez
OCT 3, 2021 9:36 AM PHT
- Bacolod City Mayor Evelio Leonardia has lost three councilors to rival 3rd district representative Alfredo Abelardo Bantug Benitez. Former councilor Caesar Distrito announced that he accepted Benitez’s offer to be his running mate. He also announed the 12-person council slate.
- Councilors Simple Distrito, Al Espino, Bart Orola, and Elmer Sy formerly with Leonardia’s Grupo Progreso are also running with Benitez.
Actor Richard Yap seeks Cebu City congressional seat
OCT 3, 2021 4:55 PM PHT
- Actor Richard Yap is running for 1st District Representative of Cebu City. He previously ran in the same position but lost to Congressman Raul del Mar.
Iloilo City’s perennial candidate on 11th try, still believes destiny to win
OCT 4, 2021 11:27 AM PHT
JOSEPH B.A. MARZAN
- Mel Carreon a regular in the city’s election scene, filed his COC for the 11th straight election. He said it is his “mission and destiny” to serve the city.
- Part of his platform include lowering of water utility rates, more comfort rooms stalls, prohibiting escalator interruptions in malls and other public establishments and reviewing other ordinances.
General Santos mayor wants to become city’s first congressman
OCT 4, 2021 12:02 PM PHT
- General Santos will elected its own congressman for the first time after the creation of its district separate from South Cotabato.
- Incumbent Mayor Ronnel Rivera is seeking the post after serving his third and final term as local chief. Rivera is the son of a fishing magnate who owns RD Pawnshop, one of the biggest lenders in the country. They own a suiness empire that cuts across various industries—fisheries, canning, hardware stores, hotels, resorts, etc.
South Cotabato congresswoman runs for General Santos mayor
OCT 4, 2021 12:08 PM PHT
- South Cotabato 1st District Representative Shirlyn Banas-Nograles is running for the mayor of General Santos City. She will be running under the PDP-Laban Cusi wing. She previously ran under the People’s Champ Movement in 2019, a local political party founded by Senator Manny Pacquiao.
Ex-Comelec commissioner Goyo Larrazabal runs for Leyte congressman
OCT 4, 2021 3:28 PM PHT
- Former Comelec Commissioner, Gegorio “Goyo” Larrazabal will be running against Ormoc City Mayor Richard Gomez as 4th District Representative of Leyte.
Negros Occidental’s Kiko Benitez seeks reelection to Congress
OCT 4, 2021 4:12 PM PHT
- Negros Occidental 3rd District Representative Kiko Benitez will be running for his second term. While his older brother Albee Benitez is expected to run as mayor of Victorias City.
Bacolod court upholds Albee Benitez’s transfer of residence
OCT 4, 2021 4:39 PM PHT
- The local court has approved Albee Benitez’ request for transfer of residence to Barangay Mandalagan in Bacolod City. Albee is running for Mayor of Bacolod City. Benitez will face off with reelectionist Mayor Evelio Leonardia.
Former councilor Margot Osmeña to run for mayor of Cebu City
OCT 4, 2021 6:07 PM PHT
- Former Cebu City councilor Margarita Osmena, wife of ex-mayor Tomas Osmena announced that she will be running for mayor of the city. She said that she wants to bring back the faith of the people in local government.
6 October 2021
Marcoses in Ilocos Norte file candidacies for reelection
OCT 6, 2021 5:51 PM PHT
- Ilocos Norte Governor Matthew Marcos Manotoc and his aunt Vice Governor Cecile Araneta-Marcos filed for Ilocos Norte governor and vice-governor respectively.
- Meahwhile Laoag City Mayor Michael Keon also filed his COC for reelection. He is the uncle of Matthew Manotoc.
- The Marcoses are also fielding Ferdinand Alexander “Sandro” Marcos for 1st District representative of Ilocos Norte currently held by rival clan Farinas. Angelo Marcos-Barba will be seeking reelection in the 2nd district, and is the uncle of the governor.
Bag-ao runs for reelection in Dinagat, faces Ecleo-backed group anew
OCT 6, 2021 5:40 PM PHT
- Dinagat islands governor Arlene “Koko” Bag-ao is seeking reelection that used to be dominated by the Ecleo political family. Vice Governor Nilo Demerey Jr will be challenging her reelection bid.
2 former assemblymen fight for Lanao del Sur’s congressional post
OCT 6, 2021 3:43 PM PHT
- Former Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao assemblyman Farouk Macarambon Jr is running for congressman in the 2nd district of Lanao del Sur. He is running under the Aksyon Demokratiko-Ummah Party and challenging the reelection bid of Lanao del Sur 2nd District Representative Yasser Alonto Balindong.
Bacolod City Mayor Leonardia seeks reelection
OCT 6, 2021 3:38 PM PHT
- Bacolod City Mayor Evelio “Bing” Leonardia and Vice Mayor El Cid Familiaran are both gunning for reelection in their respective posts for their third and final terms as top city executives.
- They will be running under Grupo Progreso.
- Leonardia will be running against 3rd District representative Alfredo “Albee” Benitez who are said to be backed by powerful coalition of Negros Occidental mayors.
Lapu-Lapu City congresswoman runs for mayor
OCT 6, 2021 1:58 PM PHT
- Lapu-Lapu City Representative Paz Radaza is set ot run as mayor with Rico Amores as her running mate. She won her current seat under the Lakas-CMD banner. Radaza is an advocate of women’s rights.
Richard and Lucy Gomez seek to swap posts in 2022 polls
OCT 6, 2021 1:55 PM PHT
ART LUBIANOINDAY ESPINA-VARONA
- Richard Gomez will be running for 4th District representative of Leyte while Congresswoman Lucy Toress-Gomez will be running as Ormoc City Mayor.
- Gomez will be running under the Partido-Deokratio Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan party. He will be running against former COMELEC commissioner Gregorio “goyo” Larrazabal.
Son of Zamboanga Sibugay’s first governor runs for congressman
OCT 6, 2021 11:52 AM PHT
- Businessman George Hofer II filed his COC will be running as the 2nd district representative of Zamboanga Sibugay to succeed her sister who is currently holding the post. He will be running under the Nacioalista Party.
Cabilao’s daughter faces Zamboanga Sibugay governor in congressional race
OCT 6, 2021 11:51 AM PHT
- Ma. Florence Yambao, daughter of former congresswoman Belma Cabilao will be running for congresswoman in the 1st District of Zamboanga Sibugay. She will be running against Governor Wilter Palma.
5 October 2021
Duterte endorses Mike Rama for Cebu City mayor, says Roque
OCT 5, 2021 8:22 PM PHT
- President Duterte has endorsed Cebu City Vice Mayor Michael Rama for the city’s mayoral race. Rama and his ful slate will be running under the Partido Barug PDP-Laban alied with Kusog and Marino.
Reelectionist Governor Dolor to face congressman Leachon in Oriental Mindoro race
OCT 5, 2021 5:52 PM PHT
DWIGHT DE LEON
- House Deputy Speaker Doy Leachon will be running against Governor Bonz Dolor for the gubernatorial race in Oriental Mindoro in the upcoming 2022 elections. Leachon will be running under the banner of Mindoro Bagong Sarili with Jojo Perez as vice governor candidate.
Mayor Uy, father, sister seek to keep top posts in Catbalogan City
OCT 5, 2021 5:00 PM PHT
- Catbalogan Mayor Dexter Uy, his father, Vice Mayor Coefredo Uy, and sister Councilor Stephany Uy-Tan will be running for various positions in the location under the Nacionalista Party.
- The Uy political clan has been running in Catbalogan for almost two decades.
Emano runs for Congress, Gingoog vice mayor seeks top post in Misamis Oriental
OCT 5, 2021 3:21 PM PHT
- Misamis Oriental Governor Yeveny “Bambi” Emano is running to reclaim his post as 2nd district representative of the province. He is currently holding his third and final term as governor of the province.
Baguio Mayor Magalong seeks reelection
OCT 5, 2021 2:53 PM PHT
PAUL NICHOLAS SORIANO
- Incumbent Baguio City Mayor Benjamin Magalong will be running for his second term as mayor of the city, under the banner of the Nationalist People’s Coalition. He is also service as the national contact tracing czar of the government’s pandemic response. He offered resignation from the post after he received backlash from lapses in implementation in health protocols but Malacanang refused to accept his resignation.
‘Pinakyaw’? Pacquiao siblings, in-laws, cousin, buddies eye posts
OCT 5, 2021 11:28 AM PHT
- A total to seven relatives and close associates of Senato Manny Pacquiao are gunning for different positions in government. His brothers Rogelio and Roberto, sister-in-law Lorelie, brother-in-law Russel Jamora, close allies Buboy Fernandez and lawyer Franklin Gacal are all running under the banner of People’s Champ Movement (PCM).
- Senator Pacquiao’s wife, Jinkee is seeking a seat in the provincial board of Sarangani.
Cutie del Mar runs for Cebu City congressional seat left by father
OCT 5, 2021 10:47 AM PHT
- Rachel del Mar, daughter of late Raul del Mar who died in November 2020 is gunning for the seat left by her father. She will be running against actor Richard Yap.
Deputy Speaker Rufus Rodriguez files COC for reelection in Cagayan de Oro
OCT 7, 2021 1:01 PM PHT
- Deputy Speaker Rufus Rodriguez is seeking reelection in CDO’s 2nd district
- Rodriguez will be under a regional party coalition of Padayon Pilipino of Misamis Oriental and Centrist Democratic Party.
Juliette Uy runs for Misamis Oriental governor, husband for Congress
OCT 7, 2021 2:45 PM PHT
- Misamis Oriental 2nd District Representative Juliette Uy filed her COC for provincial governor, while her husband Julio is seeking to replace her in Congress. They are both running under the banner of National Unity Party.
- Juliette Uy is running against CDO Mayor Oscar Moreno and former 1st District Congressman Peter Unabia
It’s Ria Fariñas vs Sandro Marcos in Ilocos Norte’s 1st district
OCT 7, 2021 7:10 PM PHT
- Incumbent Ilocos Norte 1st District Representative Ria Farinas filed her candidacy for reelection under the ruling party PDP-Laban. She is rivaled by Ferdinand Alexander Marcos who is running under Nacionalista Party.
8 October 2021
Gwen Garcia files for reelection as Cebu governor
OCT 8, 2021 10:57 AM PHT
- Cebu governor Gwendolyn Garcia filed her COC for a second term under the One Cebu party, the local party credited for helping the campaign of Rodrigo Duterte.
- Her leadership was often criticized that hospitals have been neglected during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Lucy Torres foregoes senatorial nominations, aims for Ormoc City mayor
OCT 8, 2021 11:05 AM PHT
- Lucy Torres-Gomez has filed her COC for Ormoc City mayor ending weeks of speculation regarding her senatorial nominations from various parties including PDP-Laban Cusi faction.
Rep. Rogelio Roque dares Zubiris, runs for Bukidnon governor
OCT 8, 2021 11:15 AM PHT
- Bukidnon 4th District Representative Rogelio Neil Roque is challenging the well-entrenched Zubiris who have dominated politics in the north central Mindanao.
- His wife Valencia City councilor Laarni Lavin-Roque is seeking the replace him as district representative.
Broadcaster Arlyn Ayon up vs. Joe Zubiri in Bukidnon’s 3rd District
OCT 8, 2021 11:28 AM PHT
- Provincial board member Arlyn Ayon will run against governor Jose Maria Zubiri. She will be running under the People’s Reform Party.
- Ayon rose to prominence when she exposed alleged wrongdoings in the Valencia city government in 2003.
Lapu-Lapu Mayor Ahong Chan runs for second term
OCT 8, 2021 12:02 PM PHT
- Lapu-lapu city mayor Junard Chan will face off congresswoman Paz Radaza in the mayoral race of the city.
- In 2019, he ran under the Tribu Kusgano, the local party affiliated with the ruling PDP-Laban
Girlie Balaba seeks reelection: ‘My loyalty belongs to Duterte, Go’
OCT 8, 2021 12:58 PM PHT
- Girlie Balaba is known to be a ‘sacred cow’ of the administration, earning Duterte’s favor and endorsement when she ran as city councilor in 2019. IN the upcoming elections she will be seeking reelection and pledged her loyalty to President Duterte and Senator Go.
Mike Rama files candidacy for Cebu City mayor
OCT 8, 2021 1:02 PM PHT
- Acting Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama filed his COC for mayor of the city under the party PDP-Barug. The party is affiliatied with PDP-Laban and local parties Kusug and Marino.
- Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque graced the slate lunch to deliver the endorsement “on behalf of the President.”
Marcoses drop cousin in Laoag City mayoral race, back another bet
OCT 8, 2021 2:14 PM PHT
JOHN MICHAEL MUGAS
- The Marcos clan has dropped a cousing of Imee and Bongbong Marcos in the race for Laoag City mayor, as they backed incumbent Vice Mayor Vincentito “Tito” Lazo who is vying for the post.
- The local “Team Marcos” led by Ilocos Norte Governor Matthew Marcos Manotoc endorsed Lazo. According the Marcoses Keon abandoned the party when he decided to run as independent.
Davao NGO worker challenges Paolo Duterte’s congressional bid
OCT 8, 2021 3:35 PM PHT
HERBIE GOMEZDENNIS JAY SANTOS
- Prominent Mindanao-based non-governmental organization worker Maria Victoria “Mags” Maglana is challenging the reelection bid of Paolo Duterte in Davao’s 1st congressional district.
- She promised to work on proposals to rid the country of political dynasties, post COVID-19 measures, and oppose any move seen to breed dictatorship and authoritarianism.
Son of slain Calbayog mayor Aquino runs for vice mayor
OCT 8, 2021 3:36 PM PHT
- Julius Clarence Aquino is the son of the late mayor Ronaldo ‘Onald’ Aquino, who was killed in an ambush in March 2021
- He will run alongside Calbayog City Mayor Diego Rivera under the PDP-Laban banner. Clarence will face Rex Daguman, the longtime coordinator of the Tan political clan in Calbayog.
Iligan’s vice mayor-priest runs for mayor
OCT 8, 2021 3:43 PM PHT
- Iligan Mayor Celso Regencia’s preferred successor, Catholic priest turned Vice Mayor Jemar Vera-Cruz, launched his 2022 bid to lead the “Industrial City of the South”
Zamboanga City’s Dalipe brothers file COCs
OCT 8, 2021 4:38 PM PHT
- Mannix is seeking his 3rd term as 2nd District Representative of Zamboanga City, while younger brother John targets the mayorship
- He is seeking reelection after serving his second term in office, will run under the Nationalist People’s Coalition.
Pompee La Viña misses deadline for Cagayan de Oro’s ‘proxy war’
OCT 8, 2021 9:36 PM PHT
- The social media director of President Rodrigo Duterte’s 2016 campaign and mayoral hopeful Jose Gabriel “Pompee” La Viña missed the deadline for the filing of certificates of candidacy on Friday, October 8.
- His ally, lawyer Gil Banaag, filed his certificate of candidacy for mayor under the Partido Pederal Maharlika Party, a group that has never been heard of in Cagayan de Oro until Friday afternoon.
12 October 2021
6 Cavite district representatives running for mayor, to swap posts with relatives
OCT 12, 2021 6:00 PM PHT
- Six of Cavite’s eight representatives are on their final term, and will be running for mayor of cities and municipalities within their respective districts in the 2022 elections.
- All (except Loyola) reaching their term limit as representative, the following are running for mayor:
- 1st District Representative Francis Gerald “Boy Blue” Abaya, for mayor of Kawit against his second cousin, reelectionist Angelo Aguinaldo.
- 2nd District Representative Strike Revilla, for mayor of Bacoor, which compromises the entire district. He used to be mayor of the city.
- 3rd District Representative Alex “AA” Advincula, for mayor of Imus, which compromises the entire district. He used to be top councilor of the city.
- 5th District Representative Dahlia Loyola, for mayor of Carmona. She used to be mayor of the municipality.
- 6th District Representative Luis “Jon Jon” Ferrer IV, for mayor of General Trias, which compromises the entire district.
- 8th District Representative Abraham “Bambol” Tolentino, for mayor of Tagaytay. He used to be mayor of the city.