Leachon, Antony C., MD
Philippine College of Physicians Foundation
Dr. Tony Leachon is a Filipino physician - leader, preventive health education and health reform advocate. Dr. Leachon graduated from the UST Faculty of Medicine and Surgery in 1985 and was one of the PRC medical board topnotchers in June 1986.
He practices medicine as the leading internist and cardiologist at Manila Doctors Hospital.
Dr Leachon has won several awards and recognitions as an outstanding physician leader and health advocate.
Among his awards are the following:
- He was a Distinguished Fellow of the Philippine College of Physicians in 2006
- One of the Outstanding Filipino Physicians (TOFP) in 2008 by DOH and Phil Jaycees
- The Outstanding Filipino Awardee in Medicine (TOFIL) in 2010 by the Phil Jaycees Senate
- Given Manila Doctors Hospital Exemplar Award for his great contributions to the institution Jan 2015
- Ulirang Ama Awardee for Medicine for 2015 (June 21, 2015)
- Most Outstanding Alumnus in Community Service by the UST MAAA in America on July 4 , 2015
Yet of all the things he has done for his patients and his country, Dr Leachon has been recognized for authoring Executive Order 595 - Health Education Reform Order (H.E.R.O.).
The HERO remains the largest physician-led advocacy on comprehensive health education and disease prevention. For leading and pioneering the passage of this significant Executive Order, Dr. Leachon received Presidential Citation for helping the government with its preventive health education advocacy; Recently, he was the Lead proponent of the civil society in the passage of the sin tax law for tobacco and alcohol which was signed by Pres. Benigno Aquino III last December 2012 after languishing in congress for 16 years.
The pioneering sin tax law will curb smoking and alcohol illnesses and earn additional 500 billion pesos for DOH for the next ten years. He is introducing new innovative concepts in unhealthy diet for our healthcare system - mandatory food labeling, calorie counter and food plate.
Currently he's working on the release of the sin tax funds earmarked for health and the crafting of the national healthcare workforce plan to address maldistribution of doctors leading to shortage in the countryside.
He served as Director of Information, Publications, and Public Affairs of the University of the Philippines- Manila from June 2012 to October 2014. Dr. Leachon was the immediate past president of the Philippine College of Physicians, 10,000 medical organization of internal medicine specialists.
He is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians (2014) ; Dr. Leachon has been recognized as well by distinguished medical societies in Asia - as a Honorary Fellow of the Royal College of Thailand ( 2015 ) and Malaysia ( 2014).
Currently, Dr. Leachon is the President of the Philippine College of Physicians Foundation and the President - of the UST Medical Alumni Association 2015-2016.
Areas of Expertise
- Health of the nation is an election issue considering that 60 per cent of the workforce are afflicted with lifestyle diseases. If this will not be addressed this will affect the country s economy. I can provide national healthcare agenda for the next president.
- provide innovative health programs to curb top causes of deaths in the country
- can recommend comprehensive programs for the allocation of sin tax funds to reduce the incidence of noncommunicable diseases or lifestyle diseases
- can provide a blueprint to address brain drain of healthcare professionals